Photo
- - - - -

what are most craft beer drinkers really like?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

I also keep my mouth shut unless asked. I don't want to hear 45 minutes of crap about quilting, they probably don't want to hear 45 minutes about brewing. Though I was at a conference once and this dude kept asking questions. I tried to change the subject but he kept asking. I talked for over an hour. I tried to offer to buy the second pitcher, but he was too drunk for more and went to bed.The only person I recommend beers to is my wife. She is expanding her palate and trying new things and I know her well enough to be pretty successful most of the time. Plus, I she doesn't like it, I get to drink it. :-)

some people ask me what to order.  some of them I know don't like really hoppy stuff so I just tell them which beers aren't really hoppy.  others I know like strong and dark beers (old ale, etc.) and I recommend something along those lines.  for the most part I agree I don't like to recommend beers.

#22 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

mash high, sweet chariot.

Uh, probably not.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

mashing high would help retain more body.

#24 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

Back to the OP; i have spent decent money on beer i wanted to try. Most i have spent on a 22oz has been less than $10. I have a friend that refuses to spend more than $2. They look at the price first, sadly  they have never tried the better beers that are out there.

When i see something that is I.E. 'hopstupid' i usually skip it or only try it only once. For me at least tasting Great beer is an inspiration .

#25 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

mashing high would help retain more body.

So will adding some flake.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:04 PM

Back to the OP; i have spent decent money on beer i wanted to try. Most i have spent on a 22oz has been less than $10. I have a friend that refuses to spend more than $2. They look at the price first, sadly  they have never tried the better beers that are out there.

When i see something that is I.E. 'hopstupid' i usually skip it or only try it only once. For me at least tasting Great beer is an inspiration .

I actually like hop stoopid despite the kind of immature name.  it's a great value.

multiple ways to get a result.  I usually incorporate multiple methods.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:59 AM

I did not read this all but I may not be a typical craft drinker.  I do not go to bars so all the beers I drink I have bought at a store or in the past have been via trades.  In that time I have realized that the "beer of the monent" is good but no better than what you can get locally, except for 2 beers that at the time were at the top of my list.  These days I tend to just grab something by SN, FW or one of the local places to Mass we have.  Although my goal for 2015 is to buy less and brew more so I am not sure if that puts me out of the craft club:).

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:17 AM

I did not read this all but I may not be a typical craft drinker.  I do not go to bars so all the beers I drink I have bought at a store or in the past have been via trades.  In that time I have realized that the "beer of the monent" is good but no better than what you can get locally, except for 2 beers that at the time were at the top of my list.  These days I tend to just grab something by SN, FW or one of the local places to Mass we have.  Although my goal for 2015 is to buy less and brew more so I am not sure if that puts me out of the craft club:).

FW?  I'm blanking.

We make our own craft beer ;)

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:30 AM

FW?  I'm blanking.

We make our own craft beer ;)

Firestone Walker.  These days though I tend to grab something from Jack's Abby or Brewmaster Jack.  Brewmaster jack has a good single hop series and a IPA called "Hoppiness is a Warm Pun"  excellent beer!

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:46 AM

Firestone Walker.  These days though I tend to grab something from Jack's Abby or Brewmaster Jack.  Brewmaster jack has a good single hop series and a IPA called "Hoppiness is a Warm Pun"  excellent beer!

I think I've had some FW beer but I can't remember for sure.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:23 AM

I like to try various commercial beers and if I like them, it's inspiration to brew something similar. It might be something like Why didn't *I* think of that? or it might just be, I need to have something like this on tap! and then try to brew it myself. You guys know FAR more commercial beers than I do. Firestone Walker's beers are great... never had a bad one. Also... I've mentioned before too that any type of "limited release" or "release party" or "2 bottles per person maximum" or anything along those lines is guaranteed to make me go in the other direction. The idea of creating buzz over something just for the sake of buzz is not for me. If a REALLY excellent beer was only made in limited quantities and as a result you had to pay $40 per bomber or something, I'm just going to find something else to drink or try to make it myself. :D

#32 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

So what are the benefits of using some flake versus mashing high or what negatives are there to mashing high? Basically what are the pros and cons of each method?

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:27 AM

So what are the benefits of using some flake versus mashing high or what negatives are there to mashing high? Basically what are the pros and cons of each method?

Just guessing here but one of the negatives of a high mash temp could be a beer that is left with a higher FG, not able to dry out enough.  Although I have read a few posts in various places where people did some experiments where the mash temp had no impact on the FG.

#34 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:40 AM

Just guessing here but one of the negatives of a high mash temp could be a beer that is left with a higher FG, not able to dry out enough.  Although I have read a few posts in various places where people did some experiments where the mash temp had no impact on the FG.

I was typing when you posted this. My goal of a low ABV beer and if its mashed high could leave an undesirable (for me) sweetness to the beer. If I can use some flake to add some body and mash say at 150* to get a little more attenuation then I would call that a success for my pallet.  Especially when its hot outside and I want to throw down a handful. I cant stand to drink very many (2-3) Lagers like Landshark for example that finishes sweet. 

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:45 AM

I was typing when you posted this. My goal of a low ABV beer and if its mashed high could leave an undesirable (for me) sweetness to the beer. If I can use some flake to add some body and mash say at 150* to get a little more attenuation then I would call that a success for my pallet.  Especially when its hot outside and I want to throw down a handful. I cant stand to drink very many (2-3) Lagers like Landshark for example that finishes sweet. 

We are on the same page here!

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:51 AM

We are on the same page here!

Absolutely. There are styles that are okay with a slightly sweet finish but a German Lager is not one of them, IMO. I agree that if you can get body but still have a dry finish, you win. This was the goal on my helles. It's supposed to be malty and have some mouthfeel but finish dry. A tough balancing act for sure.

#37 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

Absolutely. There are styles that are okay with a slightly sweet finish but a German Lager is not one of them, IMO. I agree that if you can get body but still have a dry finish, you win. This was the goal on my helles. It's supposed to be malty and have some mouthfeel but finish dry. A tough balancing act for sure.

It is. And going for a 3.5% beer will be even more difficult. 

#38 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

Gotcha. This is what I figured just seeing what was going through everyone else's mind.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

remember that attenuation is a percentage.  if you were to make two identical beers but one had a little more base grain in it the higher OG beer would also be the higher FG beer.  a 3.5% beer is going to have a pretty low OG so it's not going to take much attenuation for that beer to be in the dry territory.  mashing a little higher would be insurance that you don't end up with something too far below 1.010 and therefore maintain some body.

flaked also helps but I'm not sure how it could do on a beer that had a really low FG.

#40 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

remember that attenuation is a percentage.  if you were to make two identical beers but one had a little more base grain in it the higher OG beer would also be the higher FG beer.  a 3.5% beer is going to have a pretty low OG so it's not going to take much attenuation for that beer to be in the dry territory.  mashing a little higher would be insurance that you don't end up with something too far below 1.010 and therefore maintain some body.

flaked also helps but I'm not sure how it could do on a beer that had a really low FG.

I dont think you understand that I really prefer a dry beer. :) But yes. I understand everything you are saying. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 20 January 2015 - 08:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users