#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

It seems in the last few months that political threads are starting to take over the PH. I from time to time wander into one of these threads and most of them have the same feel to them. B****, b****, b****, moan, moan, moan, he/she said this, where's mah check, etc....Has there ever been any thought to make a sub forum just for political threads? I frequent another board (soxtalk.com) and they have a sub forum called the filibuster in their "PH" section. This would help by keeping the great threads such as sexy parking lot, skinamax techocolor boobs, and cleavage shots for money from getting lost in 8 pages of health care threads.

Edited by DaBearSox, 08 September 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#2 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40974 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

I agree. And....That sexy parking lot thread is a hoax. I have wasted countless hours considering how awesome those pics will be when posted. I can never get that time back.

#3 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111937 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

I used to be opposed to this idea out of sheer laziness (didn't want to check 2 forums) but seeing as how the political stuff has gone pretty nuts lately I think I wouldn't be as opposed to it now.

#4 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

The problem with that plan is that it seems that the majority of the 'political' threads dont start out that way.

#5 *_Guest_PopCultureReference_*

*_Guest_PopCultureReference_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

I only count 4 right now out of 30 threads on the front page. This is about typical I think. I don't think this is a problem. You can choose not to enter the thread if you don't want to participate.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

In general terms, the mods are against adding new forums for the most part. While on the surface it might seem like a good idea, it really doesn't solve anything. It just means that a lot of topics will be put in the wrong forum (like this one), there will probably be some gray area about what constitutes a political topic and what doesn't, the problem that jammerama brought up, etc. and all of that means more work for us. That's not to say that we will absolutely not add new forums, period. With good enough justification we are open to the idea but this has been brought up a number of times and no compelling case has ever been made in favor of adding a political forum.That said, it's a frustrating problem for all of us. I had a recent thread become political and simply deleted it instead of allowing that to continue. There is a new feature in this release that allows users to vote + or - for each post. If enough people vote a post -, it drops below a certain threshold and becomes hidden. The mods are discussing whether and how to implement this feature. The thread rating in the PH died a quick death due to abuse and there is concern that the same will happen to this feature. However we may give it a shot on a trial basis. If it works, it could be at least a partial solution to this problem.

#7 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

I actually think that there have been a lot less lately. I was beginning to think that the usual thread starters were getting sick of saying the same thing over and over. Maybe I just stopped participating as much.I think this can be self-policed if the usual Obama bashers would agree to keep it all in one thread. They can call it "*** The OFFICIAL Obama is the WPE thread ***" and all their daily drudge links and Rush talking points could go into one epic thread. It'd probably surpass the record # of pages thread. I think that could reduce the number of political threads by a lot.

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

I actually think that there have been a lot less lately. I was beginning to think that the usual thread starters were getting sick of saying the same thing over and over. Maybe I just stopped participating as much.I think this can be self-policed if the usual Obama bashers would agree to keep it all in one thread. They can call it "*** The OFFICIAL Obama is the WPE thread ***" and all their daily drudge links and Rush talking points could go into one epic thread. It'd probably surpass the record # of pages thread. I think that could reduce the number of political threads by a lot.

In the other forum I was talking about they have one pinned thread called "The Republican Thread" and one called "The Democrat Thread"....

#9 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

In the other forum I was talking about they have one pinned thread called "The Republican Thread" and one called "The Democrat Thread"....

Glacies would go postal if a political thread got pinned! Let's do it!

#10 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

There is a new feature in this release that allows users to vote + or - for each post. If enough people vote a post -, it drops below a certain threshold and becomes hidden. The mods are discussing whether and how to implement this feature.

Think we can turn this off in the beer forum? I don't know that there is any use for it there, and I've noticed that every so often if a post is worded right the plus & minus icons overlap some text which is just kind of annoying. It might be a browser issue, but if it's just a flag per forum, would be cool to kill it.

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:55 AM

Think we can turn this off in the beer forum? I don't know that there is any use for it there, and I've noticed that every so often if a post is worded right the plus & minus icons overlap some text which is just kind of annoying. It might be a browser issue, but if it's just a flag per forum, would be cool to kill it.

As far as I know it isn't turned on anywhere yet.

#12 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

As far as I know it isn't turned on anywhere yet.

I plussed your post that I replied to and am about to plus this one as well. I'll screenshot it and edit this post with the image in a minute.Looks like this right next to the reply buttonsPosted ImageEdit2: Oooooooh, wait a minute.... those are "reputation" buttons. Now if you go to Mtn's profile you'll see his reputation is +2. I think that's what they are since I can't find how to do reputation pluses on the profile page.

Edited by chuck_d, 11 September 2009 - 09:37 AM.

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:37 AM

Shows you what I know then.

#14 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

Doh, I might have edited after you posted: check edit #2 above, I think they are reputation votes, not post votes. But it's confusing cuz it's by the reply and not by the username.

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

Somebody neg rep me STAT! I can't have my reputation sullied by your promiscuous clicking. :cheers:

#16 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

I found out that it was turned on when I mis-clicked going for the quote button the other day. I couldnt find a way to undo it, so that person got a false negative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users