#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

So I treated myself to a 4-banger of DFH 90 min this weekend, I earned it with the work I have done on remodeling my kitchen and not really been 'rinkin lately. This is the second time I've bought it. It tasted a little different than the first time I got it about a month and a half ago - still wonderful. But reading the bottle, I was curious as to what they meant about a continuous 90 minute hop addition. Is that like a nugget per minute, and oz per minute, or what? Anyone have the skinny on this?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:13 PM

So I treated myself to a 4-banger of DFH 90 min this weekend, I earned it with the work I have done on remodeling my kitchen and not really been 'rinkin lately. This is the second time I've bought it. It tasted a little different than the first time I got it about a month and a half ago - still wonderful. But reading the bottle, I was curious as to what they meant about a continuous 90 minute hop addition. Is that like a nugget per minute, and oz per minute, or what? Anyone have the skinny on this?

It means that they continuously add hops for 90 minutes.

#3 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

They have a wort hopper that is constantly adding hops. There are devices like this the homebrewer can build/buy that will continuously add hot pellets to your boil. Or you can stand over your boil and drop pellets in... :P

#4 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

They use a continuous feeder. They are very common in industry to add powders, plastic pellets, or whatever at a constant rate. Many feeders use vibration. I think the legend is that DFH made the first batch using an old electric football game to shake the hops into the kettle.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:18 PM

It means that they continuously add hops for 90 minutes.

lol - I get that.. :PBut how much and at what rate? If I were to try this at home, would I just add a pellet every minute/second? I'm just trying to figure out the qty/rate that they do this.

#6 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

lol - I get that.. :PBut how much and at what rate? If I were to try this at home, would I just add a pellet every minute/second? I'm just trying to figure out the qty/rate that they do this.

I think you would simply distribute the hops evenly over the time alloted based on whatever is the smallest duration you'll tolerate between additions. Continuous is a bit of a misnomer here. Many small additions done every few minutes might be a better description :rolf:. Whether or not this is a better method than a simple heavy late hop charge is a separate discussion.

#7 DR0NE

DR0NE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

When I have done a half ass version of this (not trying to clone them mind you) I just break up all my late addition hops and add them in a little at a time every couple minutes. I still throw all the bittering hops in all at once at the beginning of the boil.

#8 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

I thought I read in an old BYO that they used a conveyor belt to continuously hop.I attempted a pseudo 60 min IPA once. I mixed up all the hop pellets in big bowl, then evenly divided the whole amount into 10 equal parts and threw the measured amount in every 6 minutes. It was a good IPA, but I don't know if the 'continuous' hop additions made a difference at all.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

I think you would simply distribute the hops evenly over the time alloted based on whatever is the smallest duration you'll tolerate between additions. Continuous is a bit of a misnomer here. Many small additions done every few minutes might be a better description :P. Whether or not this is a better method than a simple heavy late hop charge is a separate discussion.

I don't think this is a misnomer by any stretch... DFH built a machine that is continually dropping hops into the wort. At the risk of getting into a debate over this (I already hashed this one out over on another board a few months back) it's a bit of a gimmick and marketing tool. A series of well timed hop additions over a 90 minute period will serve the homebrewer well.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Well, not to be Captain Obvious one more time, they add all of the hops this way (minus the dry hops) and the rate is all of them divided by 90 mins. For example, if the recipe called for 6 oz. of hops, you'd add hops at the rate of 1/15 oz. of hops per minute.

#11 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

Well, not to be Captain Obvious one more time, they add all of the hops this way (minus the dry hops) and the rate is all of them divided by 90 mins. For example, if the recipe called for 6 oz. of hops, you'd add hops at the rate of 1/15 oz. of hops per minute.

:P That was what I was curious about. If it was a pre-measured amount divided by the 90 mins or 1 pellet every second for the 90 mins and whatever the weight was didn't matter. lol, Captain Obvious. :rolf:

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

I think you should add "Captain Obvious" to your signature. :P

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

I think you should add "Captain Obvious" to your signature. :P

Well, it was obvious to me. Maybe not to everyone else.

#14 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

It is obvious, but I think you were missing the context of my question. Maybe it was the way I asked it or something.It was comedy though. :P

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

It is obvious, but I think you were missing the context of my question. Maybe it was the way I asked it or something.

I'm still missing it because I don't understand how the answer could be anything other than x/90 oz. per minute.

#16 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:50 AM

I think you should add "Captain Obvious" to your signature. :rolf:

Frigin' math majors! :P

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:53 AM

I think the legend is that DFH made the first batch using an old electric football game to shake the hops into the kettle.

No legend. If you go to the brewery it's there in "the museum" along with their old Sabco "Brew Tragic."I've got pictures somewhere.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:56 AM

yes?

#19 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:12 AM

I'm still missing it because I don't understand how the answer could be anything other than x/90 oz. per minute.

Maybe the oz/minute could be exponentially decaying. That would provide more hops at bittering time and less at aroma time. I doubt they do that, but maybe he was thinking something like that.

#20 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

No... just an attorney. :rolf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users