4 replies to this topic

#1 simonsez

simonsez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:23 PM

Well i tasted my first beer (cream ale kit with a brew kit from costco) and well i guess the result was expected given the higher fermentation temperatures and insufficient cool break.tastes fruity with sour overtones and has the chill haze :P oh well a good learning experience!on the other hand i returned the costco kit since the spigot was cracked. when i tried to reorder it i found out that they no longer sell it! i then went to my local HWBC shop and purchased everything i needed including a wort immersion chiller.and a bass ale type beer kit.roll on brew#2. :)

#2 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

Congrats on your first finished beer. You are on a roller coaster now , Going to make some great beers and some not so great. Its all in your hands now. Welcome.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

I think it shows some good stuff on your part to have your first beer come out like that and then step on the gas by picking up a full-blown equipment kit and a recipe kit too. Every once in awhile, brewers have a beer come out like this and it's certainly more common when you're learning (although... we're all learning). Keep your fermentation temps low, pitch a good amount of active, healthy yeast, oxygenate your wort if you have the capacity to do so and learn patience. The beer will get better, I assure you. I have some tips on my site... click below and look at GENERAL BREWING TECHNIQUES. Cheers.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

Congrats and welcome to the obsession. Brewing beer is very rewarding and it sounds like you are on your way to some great beers. I think first beers for anyone is really just learning the general process. You have come to a great board here too, lots of awesome, knowledgable and friendly helpful people so ask away as you need as well. Again Congrats and continued luck and fun on this obsession.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

Welcome to the hobby/obsession. I used a Mr. Beer kit for about 3, maybe 4 brews (keep in mind, they only made 2.5 gallons) before making the jump. That was nearly 3 years ago. Now I'm All Grain and having a blast. Had a party this last weekend with my NFP Cream Ale No. 2 (check out the recipe section for a lot of great recipes.and it was a hit. You will soon be adapting kits and designing your own creations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users