#1 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:24 PM

is awesome. Spent the boil breaking up my hop order instead of watching for boil overs with ~12 gallons in a euro sanke.

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10755 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

Don't know how I ever brewed without it.

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:15 PM

Gotta have pics.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

I just received my Fermcap-S from Northern Brewer today. Tomorrow will be my first foam controlled brew, I'm psyched!

#5 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:50 PM

I tried it to cut down on blow-off on 2 big beer fermentations and I wasn't impressed. The fermentation temperature was controlled. Maybe I was just asking too much.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

I haven't used it for fermenting, except for carry over from the boil. Never had much of a problem avoiding boilovers with the Christmass tree light controller but since it died I've been using it everytime I remember. Need to order some more..

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10755 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:46 AM

I tried it to cut down on blow-off on 2 big beer fermentations and I wasn't impressed. The fermentation temperature was controlled. Maybe I was just asking too much.

This is odd. I normally use it in the boil and I see a big difference in the amount of krausen in the fermenter. I had a beer really take off once and the krausen was about 3-4 inches and just a couple drops of fermcap brought it right back down.

#8 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

This is odd. I normally use it in the boil and I see a big difference in the amount of krausen in the fermenter. I had a beer really take off once and the krausen was about 3-4 inches and just a couple drops of fermcap brought it right back down.

+1I was experiencing a blow off and put a couple drops in and the effects were immediate.

#9 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

Do you think it carries over from the boil? Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. I'm brewing a Dubbel and Dark Strong.How much do you use in the boil?

#10 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

Do you think it carries over from the boil? Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. I'm brewing a Dubbel and Dark Strong.How much do you use in the boil?

I usually use about 2-3 drops. Kinda big drops though. I probably use what some would call too much, but it works for me.It also depends on what kind of beer. Like yesterday I made a Kolsch (well, a little higher OG than to style) and didn't need any drops, but when I make big, beefy beers, it tends to boil over quicker.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

I'm just about at a boil...This stuff better work, or the next hour is REALLY going to suck. I have about 1.25" of head space in a 15 gal. kettle. :P

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

I usually use about 2-3 drops. Kinda big drops though. I probably use what some would call too much, but it works for me.

The directions say 2 drops per gallon, I put 30 drops in as soon as I start runoff so I do not forget. I runoff 15 gallons into a keggle, so you know what kind of tight fit it is. I never have a boilover issue. As far as carryover to fermenters, that I dont see, my ferments are always pretty explosive, i always use blowoff tubes directed into 2 liter soda bottles for easy throwaway, and I usually fill a bottle twice with blowoff per ferment.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

I'm just about at a boil...This stuff better work, or the next hour is REALLY going to suck. I have about 1.25" of head space in a 15 gal. kettle. :P

Iron kite kept a 15 gal boil contained in a Keggle. That's 1/2" of space!Master of the flame control.Actually I see the cold break taking it out, so I add some more in fermenter.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Well, I didn't have any boilovers, which is nice, but I did have a few "splashovers". The churning wort made it over the side of the kettle a few times.I can't really make a conclusive statement on whether it carries over to the ferment but I do think my Krausen is a little less than I expected, FWIW.

#15 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9179 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:26 AM

We use it for boil, and when the fermenters accidentally get a little too full, works great.

#16 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

With pics:start of boilPosted Imagefirst hop additionPosted Image

#17 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

rimming:Posted Image

#18 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

I also use it in the boil, about 2 drops per gallon, and it's great. But where this stuff REALLY earns it's keep is in starters. I have a 4500ml starter of WY3787 spinning away in a 5L flask right now, no worries.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:28 AM

Except for the hot break right at the start of the boil I never have problems with foam. I could use this when making starters in my flask though!

#20 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

Product Description.An anti-foam agent that can be used during fermentation to eliminate messy blowoff. As soon as fermentation is over, this insoluble compound settles out and remains behind when the beer is racked. It will not affect the finished beers flavor, appearance or head retention. Can also be added during the boil to reduce the risk of boilovers. Use a few drops per gallon for boil, or two drops per gallon for fermentation. Comes in a four ounce eyedropper bottle. Keep refrigerated until use.The Pics im seeing look great, does it have any affect on the yeast? i like to re-use yeast slurrys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users