#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:23 AM

Ok so after this weekend I will have a nice yeast cake of Wyeast 1084 to repitch and brew a second batch of beer. With the onset of fall I am looking to brew a nice oatmeal stout for the cooler nights forthcoming. For this beer I invision from the ingredients. I want a beer with a nice full mouthfeel with a good base coming from the Marris Otter. I would like the Oatmeal to add in the background a nice fullness and silky character to the beer. I may even toast the flaked oats in the oven before mashing this recipe as well. I would love a roastiness from the RB and some Choc notes from the Chocolate malt as well. As the crowning flavor to this beer I am wanting to add some coffee flavor. In exchange for brewing coffee and adding to secondary I was thinking of picking up a pound of Simpson's Coffee malt from the LHBS and add that to the recipe and mash instead. I plan to mash at 154 to get more body with this beer as well. Let me know what you think and any suggestions for improvement as well. Has anyone brewed with 1084 its been a year to me and I am wondering what flavors the yeast bring to the table. This beer should be fermented at 62-64 degrees as well. Thanks!!Coffee Oatmeal Stout Oatmeal Stout Type: All Grain Date: 9/11/2009 Batch Size: 5.25 gal Boil Size: 7.11 gal Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal) Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Taste Notes: Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 9.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 % 1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 % 0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 % 0.50 lb Coffee Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 % 0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 % 0.75 oz Magnum [13.60 %] (60 min) Hops 33.0 IBU 0.75 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU 1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale Beer ProfileEst Original Gravity: 1.060 SGBitterness: 38.3 IBU Est Color: 36.3 SRM

#2 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:57 AM

First i would like to say you have a decent looking recipe there. My thoughts are compared to my stout i have on tap now. I am going to back off the Roasted barley on my next batch ( maybe) i used eight ounces in it. But, i also used eight ounces of Carafa 3,and one # of American Munich. I also put my hop additions at 60/30 not wanting much from them as far as aromas. I used all Williamettes and your hop styles look good. I like the mash temp your doing too. I too have not used the Irish yeast in about year and half or so. Its good stuff. I think more chocolate equals porter,more roasted malts equals stout. Although, that is not always the rule with the three recipe books i have. Just my two cents.

Edited by Kegdude, 05 September 2009 - 07:58 AM.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:25 AM

Thanks Kegdude,I was thinking about cutting the Choc back a touch as well too after I posted this one. I definitely don't want the Choc to dominate the flavor. I would rather go for a roasty coffee flavor but some background choclate as well. I think the Hops should work well together and I thought of bumping the Willamette to an earlier addition since I don't really want as much flavor from them as well. I think the mash temp on this one is important I really want a higher FG and get more mouthfeel from the temp plus the addition of the oatmeal as well. Thanks for the input.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Kegdude, I was thinking about cutting the Choc back a touch as well too after I posted this one. I definitely don't want the Choc to dominate the flavor. I would rather go for a roasty coffee flavor but some background choclate as well. I think the Hops should work well together and I thought of bumping the Willamette to an earlier addition since I don't really want as much flavor from them as well. I think the mash temp on this one is important I really want a higher FG and get more mouthfeel from the temp plus the addition of the oatmeal as well. Thanks for the input.

I like the basic recipe, probably would go with an earlier second hop addition. Never used coffee malt so I don't know what to tell you there. I've been making a choc/vanilla/coffee/ sometimes oatmeal stout for the holidays for a few years. For coffee flavor I've been dumping a lb of ground coffee (11.5 gal batch) into the fermenter, bagged sometimes, sometimes not. And this is with 1084, love it for stouts. I would probably be tempted to add a little Black Patent rather than backing off the chocolate malt. Might work better with 1.060. The first time I brewed Quiet Storm (think it was an old recipe) I really was just getting back into brewing. Threw in a lb of BP, which would probably scare me now. It really worked out well though and didn't really need much time to hit its' prime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users