#1 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12419 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

Wow, this is a pretty tasty brew! Definitely lighter in body than I'm used to in a rauchbier, but it is a Helles and the styles mix well. Very nice.

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

Interesting. I'll have to look out for it.Another interesting one is the Schlenkerla Helles. Not brewed with smoked malt, but has just a slight hint of smokiness that is pleasant.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

Interesting combo. Never seen a Shiner beer in this area. I'll be in Texas in a few weeks, I'll have to seek that out.

#4 Daryl

Daryl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:11 PM

Interesting combo. Never seen a Shiner beer in this area. I'll be in Texas in a few weeks, I'll have to seek that out.

what part of Texas?

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

what part of Texas?

Corpus Christi...

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

I can't say I really dig this beer. I get a really strong bacon flavor. My favorite smoked beer was Goose Island's "Second-Hand Smoked." It really tasted like smoke and not char, if that makes sense.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

I can't say I really dig this beer. I get a really strong bacon flavor. My favorite smoked beer was Goose Island's "Second-Hand Smoked." It really tasted like smoke and not char, if that makes sense.

So, on one hand you say you don't dig the beer, on the other you say it tastes like bacon...does not compute.

#8 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25373 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I usually think of bacon when a smoked beer is smoked with hickory. I think shiner uses mesquite though. Its not bad at all, IMO. Now if they would only brew a pilsner, their claim to being a german/czech brewery would be legitimate.

#9 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22502 posts
  • LocationIt's OK to be White

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

I took a tour of their operation this summer, and they were bottling the smokehaus. I really liked it a first, but now I can only have one or two before the smoke gumms up my mouth. Being a local Mexas beer, I usually order a Shiner Bock when I go out. Its usually the only thing on tap besides the usual crap.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:27 PM

Drinking the Shiner Smokehaus right now. Thus far I don't get an overpowering smokiness, I only bought one though, so I don't know if it'll wear on me. Overall it's OK, not something I'd likely get again.On a side note, Liquid Town in Corpus Christi has a pretty darn good selection of beer. Lots of German and Belgian stuff, I don't think I've ever seen so many german beers in one place. Plus they had a very good selection of the American micros. I'd definitely recommend it if you ever get stuck...erm, I mean...stay in Corpus Christi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users