#1 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:38 AM

Brewing a Saison this weekend and using 3711 for the first time. I had read relatively positive reviews of it being a "fast muncher" and highly attenuative without needing the care and attention that 3724 needs to fully attenuate.I had read generally positive reviews and was good to go until last evening when a member of my local club relayed his experience with 3711 being overly earthy / muddy, and not throwing much spice.....IIRC, he fermented his 3711 cool.Anyway, I would like to hear any and all experiences you may have had with this strain.....fermentation temp profile, spices in wort, and resulting flavor of finished product.THANKS!!!

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

I ferment it at about 62 and get phenolics, spiciness, and restrained fruit character.

#3 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

I ferment it at about 62 and get phenolics, spiciness, and restrained fruit character.

THANKS.....Do you add any spices to your wort or do you let the yeast throw them??

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

THANKS.....Do you add any spices to your wort or do you let the yeast throw them??

Nope, never any fruit or spice additions to my Saisons.

#5 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

I hate to bang this drum too long and hard, but this yeast is really AMAZING, and I have not even BREWED with it yet.First, the smack pack was approaching burst phase within two hours of activating, and this evening it is trying to crawl out of a 2L flask on the stir plate as I ramp up the starter. Hang on, it appears we are going for a ride.As this has unfolded we changed the recipe for tomorrow.....planning to go simple to evaulate what the yeast can do.Any input and ideas are welcome.....? Here is what is going in so far.....10.5lb German Pilsner1lb Wheat Malt (may use torrified)1.5oz Goldings Cones (5%AA) x 60 minutes0.25 oz Saaz Cones (4%AA) x 20 minutes??? Flame out Saaz ????Depending upon OG and fermentation, may add a pound of corn sugar or a pound of orange blossom honey as the krausen drops.....?????Trying to keep it simple and ferment cool on a good pitch of 3711, per Denny's advice.THANKS

#6 Stuster

Stuster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

I got a more lemony-citrus note in my saisons made with this yeast, along with a little of the spiciness. Very tasty, a dry finish, really good attenuator, flocculated fine and finished really quickly. I fermented in the high 60s-low 70s so that may be the difference to the flavours Denny's getting. No earthy/muddy flavours. I really like this yeast.Edit: Just to answer Mindflux. I think the sugar isn't really needed. Honey might be a good idea. I did a braggot with this yeast for a change up, and it worked pretty well IMO. But actually I think if this is your first time using this yeast, why not keep it simple this time and then adjust next time. I think Saaz for aroma would work really well with this. Looks a fine recipe to me. :blink:

#7 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

I just tried my saison fermented with 3711. It was fermenting at 65 for about the first 5 days and then slowly ramped up to 78 over the course of about a week. I can tell you, it's got a lot of orange and lemon aroma and flavor, and a whole lot of spicy phenolics. I wouldn't consider it overwhelming, but it's certainly a lot more than some of the commercial versions I've had. I wouldn't advise using any extra spices; it's simply not necessary. It also had a very good attenuation (about 88%). Next time I'd consider starting fermentation a little lower, pitching more yeast, or adding more oxygen to the wort (I'm still playing around with an aquarium pump), all which I've heard lowers the yeast esters and phenols.I did use about a lb of clover honey in the fermenter, added on the third day of fermentation. I don't taste any, but it probably did a good job drying it out.

#8 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

This may be a bit of a newbie question, but what is the difference between phenolics and spiciness? By spiciness, do you mean something like capsaicin or "spices" in general, like coriander?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users