#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

What is YOUR practice for Oak additions to beer? As far as sanitizing or cleaning it. Starsan? Boil? not really sure what is the best practice.

I have a half of an Oak Spiral (dark) that i would like to add to my IMP stout. The last time i used Oak ,the flavor never came out ( i no doubt did not give it enough time). I am transferring  it to a glass secondary today,and off the yeast cake.(day 20)

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

I used bourbon the couple times I did it. I assume vodka is a good choice if you want a neutral spirit. I also poured in the liquid that was soaking for a few days.

#3 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:53 PM

For beers I've soaked 1-2 oz per 5 gallons in Bourbon/whiskey for a week or so. Like MakeMeHoppy, I also poured the juice in. For other uses, I boil the cubes for 5-10 mins before using them for the first time.

#4 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

For beers I've soaked 1-2 oz per 5 gallons in Bourbon/whiskey for a week or so. Like MakeMeHoppy, I also poured the juice in. For other uses, I boil the cubes for 5-10 mins before using them for the first time.

I did a short boil. Last time i did use the whiskey soak for 7-10 days, and should have added the whiskey juice to it .I can always add some bourbon/whiskey later. :frank:

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

I put the cubes in a strainer and rinse with water to get the dust off. Then I pour StarSan or SaniClean over them while shaking gently to make sure I get good coverage. I once saw instructions from the manufacturer that said not to boil them so I don't.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

I've got a mason jar with whiskey and oak chips in it.  I don't add the chips because I don't want to fish them out in any way whatsoever.  I add the oak infused whiskey instead.  Which reminds me... I haven't done this in quite some time and should consider making something.

#7 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

I only use cubes, and I add a smaller amount in general than others, typically .75oz up to 1.5oz maximum. The reason why I add a smaller amount of the cubes is so that I can leave it in the keg for the life of the keg, which in some cases is years, without the beer becoming over-oaked, and it develops nice oak complexity this way as well.

If you are going to use spirals, sample very often, maybe even every day or every other day, depending on how much you add, as those spirals have a very high surface area to volume ratio, and will impart the main 'oakiness' very quickly, but won't necessarily give you the complexity of longer oaking durations.

#8 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

Listen to gnef, he's pre-med.

Also, he did a great side by side comparison for our brew club a few years ago of american vs french vs hungarian oak cubes.  The differences were noticeable and striking.  Personally, I like the sweet vanilla note in the oak, so I learned from that demo that hungarian is for me.

If you have the time, space, and love for oaked beverages, it is worth it to do the comparison for yourself.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

Listen to gnef, he's pre-med.Also, he did a great side by side comparison for our brew club a few years ago of american vs french vs hungarian oak cubes. The differences were noticeable and striking. Personally, I like the sweet vanilla note in the oak, so I learned from that demo that hungarian is for me.If you have the time, space, and love for oaked beverages, it is worth it to do the comparison for yourself.

Blending oak types is always an option as well. You can blend different oak species or different toast levels of the same species. Lots of tools in the box.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: additions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users