#1 haeffnkr

haeffnkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Peters MO

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

Hello,

I am building APA water for an upcoming brew, from RO/DI water.

I am adding this to 12 gallons of water

Gypsum Calc. Chloride Epsom Salt

CaSO4 CaCl2 MgSO4

12 7 4 - grams each addition

To end up with this

Calcium Magnesium Sodium Chloride Sulfate Chloride / Sulfate  
(Ca ppm) (Mg ppm) (Na ppm) (Cl ppm) (SO4 ppm) 
Mash + Sparge Water Profile: 82 8 0 59 152 0.39

I am cautious to go any higher on the sulfate / chloride, thoughts? Suggestions?

thanks Kevin

EDIT - sorry about the formatting... it was in HTML boxes when created the post.

Edited by haeffnkr, 10 March 2015 - 07:29 AM.

#2 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

The formatting is a bit scrambled on my display, but the final numbers look like a good start. If you like that, you can try higher SO4 next time. You may find that you still need to lower the pH, depending on the malts.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:36 AM

The formatting is a bit scrambled on my display, but the final numbers look like a good start. If you like that, you can try higher SO4 next time. You may find that you still need to lower the pH, depending on the malts.

What Brauer said. Looks like a fine profile for a pale ale. Looks like you are using some water software of some kind so just make sure your mash pH is correct with your grist and if not adjust accordingly.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

I agree with brauer.  for a pale ale that will be great.  if you really like the sulfate kick you can keep pushing that number up.  I often go up to 300-350 ppm for IPAs.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

Do you have an idea of where this leaves your mash pH?

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

Do you have an idea of where this leaves your mash pH?

I was assuming that was already in line but yes, the mash pH is even more important than those other water numbers.

#7 haeffnkr

haeffnkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Peters MO

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hello,

I used EZ Water Calculator to get these numbers, the sheet always works well for me.

The sheet said my ph was 5.5 - the sheet suggests 5.4 to 5.6 as the target mash ph to shoot for.

thanks 

Kevin

Edited by haeffnkr, 10 March 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

Hello,

I used EZ Water Calculator to get these numbers, the sheet always works well for me.

The sheet said my ph was 5.5 - the sheet suggests 5.4 to 5.6 as the target to shoot for.

thanks 

Kevin

I typically go for 5.3 or 5.4 depending on the beer.  That's just me though.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hello,

The sheet said my ph was 5.5 - the sheet suggests 5.4 to 5.6 as the target to shoot for.

thanks 

Kevin

I would expand that range to 5.2-5.6 based on what I have read and experienced. A pH of 5.5 should be OK. One thing to think about though would be to get a pH meter and test your mash pH (at room temp) to confirm what the calculator is predicting. The calculators can be pretty off at times and different malts can bring an unpredicted amount (not correlated with malt type/color) of acidity to your mash. Rahr Pale Ale specifically is known to be more acidic than the calculators will predict. I am with Morty too in that I like to shoot for 5.3-5.4 on most beers and only occasionally stray from that range.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:43 AM

I typically go for 5.2 or 5.4 depending on the beer.  That's just me though.

Fixed for me

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

I would expand that range to 5.2-5.6 based on what I have read and experienced. A pH of 5.5 should be OK. One thing to think about though would be to get a pH meter and test your mash pH (at room temp) to confirm what the calculator is predicting. The calculators can be pretty off at times and different malts can bring an unpredicted amount (not correlated with malt type/color) of acidity to your mash. Rahr Pale Ale specifically is known to be more acidic than the calculators will predict. I am with Morty too in that I like to shoot for 5.3-5.4 on most beers and only occasionally stray from that range.

I've had really excellent luck with bru'n water - people with different water or malts may experience something different though.  I use colorpHast strips to check my pH and very rarely (1 out of 20) do I not land pretty much exactly where it predicted.  usually in these cases I'm not drastically off, just 0.2 and I throw in some gypsum or something and all is right with the world.  even doing nothing in these cases I would have been fine.

as for the pH goal, 5.3 is my go to for anything that is hoppy.  I think the acidity is just the ticket for these beers.  if it's something more malty I'll do 5.4 or 5.5.

Fixed for me

I'd probably consider 5.2 if I trusted the colorpHast strips more but I figure 5.3 gives me a little bit of wiggle room since I don't really have great resolution and trust in the strips.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:47 AM

I'd probably consider 5.2 if I trusted the colorpHast strips more but I figure 5.3 gives me a little bit of wiggle room since I don't really have great resolution and trust in the strips.

The resolution on my meter is great :)

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

Agree with the acidity in hoppy beers, I think it helps keep them bright but I've not made any side to side examples to confirm. I should clarify too that I, like Ken have noticed that BrunWater will slightly overestimate the pH from time to time and when I say shoot for 5.3-5.4 it's frequently 5.2-5.3 on my meter. I like to keep it from straying under 5.2. Hoppy beers and Saison (which frequently aren't 2 different things) where I will most often shoot for the lower end. 

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

The resolution on my meter is great :)

did you know I cut my strips in half so I get twice as many readings out of the little box?  :D

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

did you know I cut my strips in half so I get twice as many readings out of the little box?  :D

What's the shelf life?

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

Agree with the acidity in hoppy beers, I think it helps keep them bright but I've not made any side to side examples to confirm. I should clarify too that I, like Ken have noticed that BrunWater will slightly overestimate the pH from time to time and when I say shoot for 5.3-5.4 it's frequently 5.2-5.3 on my meter. I like to keep it from straying under 5.2. Hoppy beers and Saison (which frequently aren't 2 different things) where I will most often shoot for the lower end. 

that could be the case for me and I might not know it.  good point on the saison, even a non-hoppy saison would probably benefit from a low pH.

What's the shelf life?

I've probably gone past what is recommended but they still seem to be agreeing with what bru'n water predicts.  at some point I could probably just stop measuring and it wouldn't make much difference.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

I have heard some cut them in thirds .. I still like my mete but I like toys.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

Welcome to the forum, haeffnkr!

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

I have heard some cut them in thirds .. I still like my mete but I like toys.

now that's just crazy right there :rolleyes: who would do anything that cheap!  *gets scissors and magnifying glass out*

:lol:

Edited by Evil_Morty, 10 March 2015 - 12:24 PM.

#20 haeffnkr

haeffnkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Peters MO

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.

I will shoot for 5.3 in the future, I appreciate the feedback.

I am always wanting to purchase new brew stuff, but I have not purchased a ph meter yet.

From what folks who have them say, the EZ water  sheet gets me/them close enough, or spot on to the calculated number with the hassle of calibrating the meter and hoping it is accurate.

Sorry if that upsets some folks.

thanks Kevin

Welcome to the forum, haeffnkr!

Thanks, I followed Ken L here.

He has helped me a lot in the past.

thanks Kevin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: additions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users