#1 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

I went looking for my recipe on "the site with no name" but it seems it was deleted, cause I sure remember posting it.
Sorry for the delay in posting it here, where it hopefully stays up.

First off, Sam is one heck of a nice guy. So as a bit of explanation on the genesis of the beer I detailed it on the label.
The label reads thus:

This beer is a story about 5 guys John, Sam, Steve, IronKite and Stout_fan. John (a specialty wood importer) gave Sam (a brewer of renown) the idea to incorporate Palo Santo wood into a beer. Palo Santo is an aromatic wood from Paraguay with medicinal properties. John also obtained a large piece to make two very special exotic tap handles to commemorate the beer.

Steve and Stout_fan (two cellulose implantation addicts) milled the handles for Sam. No money changed hands, the guys just wanted a chance to taste the beer. When the keg was tapped, John was only informed hours before the keg blew. Too late to get word, Steve and Stout_fan never had a chance to taste the majik elixir. However, upon John's urging, they had retained the palo santo wood chips.

Using Stout_fan's proven 25 plato RIS; IronKite and Stout_fan brewed. After primary added an extract of the chips, secondary for a month, more months of cold conditioning, force carbonated and bottled the brew.

Did the rag tag gang best the seasoned pros at DogFishHead? You be the judge. Drink up and enjoy! 9% ABV

Hop IBU Formula Used: TinsethAdditional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops:      10 %Additional Utilization Used For First Wort Hops: -10 %Grain/Extract/Sugar   %     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 70.6    48.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)              Great Britain  1.038      3  7.4     5.00 lbs. Aromatic Malt                 Belgium        1.036     25  5.9     4.00 lbs. Roasted Barley                America        1.028    450  1.5     1.00 lbs. Black Patent Malt             America        1.028    525  1.5     1.00 lbs. Carafa Special                Germany        1.030    525  5.9     4.00 lbs. Crystal 120L                  America        1.033    120  2.9     2.00 lbs. Munich Malt                   Germany        1.037      8  2.9     2.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt                      1.033      2  1.5     1.00 lbs. Wheat, Torrified              US             1.030      2Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.Hops   Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time-----------------------------------------------------------------------------  2.00 oz.    Hallertauer Mittelfruh            Pellet   4.50   0.0  0 min.  6.50 oz.    Magnum                            Pellet  14.00  119.1  First WHYeast-----WYeast 1028 London AleMash Schedule-------------Mash Type: Single StepGrain Lbs:   68.00Water Qts:   68.00 - Before Additional InfusionsWater Gal:   17.00 - Before Additional InfusionsQts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.00 - Before Additional InfusionsSaccharification Rest Temp : 153  Time: 120Mash-out Rest Temp :         170  Time:  10Sparge Temp :                170  Time:  10Total Mash Volume Gal: 22.44 - Dough-In Infusion OnlyAll temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.Notes-----Extract of 16 grams Palo Santo shavings in 8 oz vodka for 1 month. Added halfway through secondary.Pale Malt is Munton's Pearl
And for a bit of provenance, here's the set of Palo Santo tap handles on the right two on my keggerator at home:
Posted Image

And if you look at 2:31 John is presenting them to Sam.
Dogfish Head:Take Time

Presently Sam tells me they reside on his home keggerator.
They were finished in Danish oil. The chatoyancy of the wood was unbelievable.
I just hope he keeps them oiled. Palo Santo oil when oxidized turns a nasty opaque green like really funked up copper.

Edited by Stout_fan, 02 September 2009 - 06:53 PM.

#2 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:04 AM

Those handles give me wood.

#3 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron