Yeah and I think Evil_Morty will always be "ZYM" to me. :P

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:28 AM

So Ken, is the melanoidin really giving you anything in that small amount?

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:17 AM

So Ken, is the melanoidin really giving you anything in that small amount?

it might in a beer this light.  I feel like I'm really sensitive to it though.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:41 AM

it might in a beer this light.  I feel like I'm really sensitive to it though.

I am doing this recipe this weekend and  am on the fence about using it.  Hell, Maybe i will jsut bastardize the recipe and use 1.5#'s of Vienna and then .5#'s of Munich

#25 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16644 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:48 AM

I am doing this recipe this weekend and  am on the fence about using it.  Hell, Maybe i will jsut bastardize the recipe and use 1.5#'s of Vienna and then .5#'s of Munich

What has you hesitating about the melanoidin?

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:56 AM

I don't know about drez but for me it's a fairly intense flavor.  You really have to be going for malty.  at this level I don't think it would be a problem though.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:58 AM

Just my gut feeling that I will not notice 1 0z of malt out of the entire grain bill and I am also not 100% sure I have it in stock.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:06 AM

Just my gut feeling that I will not notice 1 0z of malt out of the entire grain bill and I am also not 100% sure I have it in stock.

ah - if that is your concern you could also use aromatic if you have it.  or just use a little bit of munich like you said.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54049 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:06 AM

Let's put it this way... I cannot taste it. It may be contributing to the beer but you wouldn't take a slug of this beer and say, "WOW! Melanoidin!" :D Also, you could modify things here or there and still be in the zip code. I think I used some Aromatic in one as well trying to get some depth that may come from decoction that the commercial German breweries are using. I could see larger percentages of Vienna or Munich 6 or Munich 10 and smaller percentages of Aromatic, Melanoidin and maybe CaraHell, etc. Whatever it's doing, it contributing to the overall awesomeness of this beer and not detracting. Cheers gang.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

Let's put it this way... I cannot taste it. It may be contributing to the beer but you wouldn't take a slug of this beer and say, "WOW! Melanoidin!" :D Also, you could modify things here or there and still be in the zip code. I think I used some Aromatic in one as well trying to get some depth that may come from decoction that the commercial German breweries are using. I could see larger percentages of Vienna or Munich 6 or Munich 10 and smaller percentages of Aromatic, Melanoidin and maybe CaraHell, etc. Whatever it's doing, it contributing to the overall awesomeness of this beer and not detracting. Cheers gang.

Thanks Ken,  I have to see what I have in the tub labeled "Assorted Grains" because the tub with Melanoidin is empty.  Starter for the yeast will be going tonight and looking forward to busting out the helles on Sunday.

#31 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16644 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

Ken, I had 4oz. melanoidin in mine. Do you remember thinking that it jumped out at you (melanoidin bomb)? I don't, but your palate is better than mine.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54049 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:50 AM

Ken, I had 4oz. melanoidin in mine. Do you remember thinking that it jumped out at you (melanoidin bomb)? I don't, but your palate is better than mine.

No, it definitely did not jump out at you. I just went and checked my melanoidin to see how much I had left... about 14 ounces from a 1-pound bag which tells me I used 1 oz in this beer just to be light-handed with it. It's not like I only had 1 ounce left. If you used 4 ounces and I only used one, I would say I didn't use enough but I suppose some people could be sensitive to it just like anything else. Also, I mentioned on the first page that he FWHing is doing something in this beer and I stand by that. There is something about the character of the FWH addition that I like. I think you could duplicate this beer nicely by using mostly pils, some smaller amounts of Vienna or Munich, really small amounts of the other specialties we talked about, noble hops or even hops like Mt. Hood, Santiam, Perle, Crystal, Magnum, Ultra, etc. and the 2124. The water should not have a lot of SO4 in it and the mash temp should be relatively low (150° ish) to get the drier finish.

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:21 AM

this thread is making me want a delicious lager.

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54049 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:27 AM

Relax your mind and look at the dude in my avatar. :D Hard to make out that text but it appears to translate to "BEER IS A PLEASURE". Oh, you don't say. :P

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

Brew one!

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

Brew one!

already have too much beer :blush:

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:57 AM

already have too much beer :blush:

This is why I do mostly 5g batches unless I am supplying my Dad with a keg. 

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54049 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

+1. I like the variety I get when I do 5-gallon batches plus I have no way of moving 10-14 gallons of liquid around like I would have to do if I made 10 gallon batches.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

it's a sacrifice I make for the family.  the alternative would likely be that I have about half as much beer and not the same amount of beer with more variety.

I know the wife and kids really appreciate the time with them and me brewing 1/2 as often as I used to helps a lot with that.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

it's a sacrifice I make for the family.  the alternative would likely be that I have about half as much beer and not the same amount of beer with more variety.

I know the wife and kids really appreciate the time with them and me brewing 1/2 as often as I used to helps a lot with that.

I understand that.  I have been able to brew more lately mainly because my system is pretty self sufficient and I do not need to monitor it all the time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users