#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64066 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

I'm about to enter my first comp and on the registration form there is a section for each entry titled "Description & Unusual Ingredients". It's a pretty small area to fill in a detailed description. How detailed of a description are they looking for?

#2 Pseudolus

Pseudolus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

Depends on the category. I think the only time the judges would even be told what you wrote there would be things like the "Specialty Beer" or "Fruit Mead" categories so that they could have some idea wtf you were trying to do. If you're entering an APA, hefe, or anything "normal" I would just leave it blank.(not BJCP-cert, but have judged and stew'd)

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

I've never had any problem getting my paypal info there....j/kI think that's only for unusual stuff. DK anything about mead/ciders but Cat 23 usually needs some extra info to define the base beer and what you did with it. And, I don't know that that always makes it to the judges.not certified but have judged a few times

Edited by dj in kc, 01 September 2009 - 06:34 PM.

#4 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

Well, what category is it, and what did you brew?

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64066 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

Nothing with any "special" ingredients. Special Bitter, S. English Brown, German Hefe, AIPA, Am. Amber, Marzen.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

Nothing with any "special" ingredients. Special Bitter, S. English Brown, German Hefe, AIPA, Am. Amber, Marzen.

I don't think there is any need to put anything "special" with those entries. Good Luck!

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

You are all good. There are certain categories that either need a base beer described, or a special brewing process.As earlier mentioned- a specialty cat like 23 for specialty, but there are also some subcategories as well like 16E- belgian specialty, or 22c- wood aged beer. The idea is when judging, the overall beer is taken into consideration, however the base style is first looked at for accuracy and flaws. i.e. if you submitted an oaked beer- well what type of beer was oaked? If you said it was an oaked stout, narrows it down some, but what type of stout? Now if you said it was an oaked RIS, then it would be judgesd as an RIS then for aok contributions. If it tasted like a .045 dry stout that was oaked, then it would get dinged for being out of category, because it should have the qualities of the base beer first. The cats you entered require no notes. However if the category entered did require notes, the better the description, the easier to judge and usually the better the score. OTOH, if you leave out notes in a category that does require them, it will be dinged simply because the judge now has to guess at your intentions, even if the beer is evident.Oh yeah, good luck! Is it for the Topsfield Fair? I will be judging that one, should be a fun one.

Edited by Thirsty, 01 September 2009 - 09:37 PM.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64066 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:59 AM

You are all good. There are certain categories that either need a base beer described, or a special brewing process.As earlier mentioned- a specialty cat like 23 for specialty, but there are also some subcategories as well like 16E- belgian specialty, or 22c- wood aged beer. The idea is when judging, the overall beer is taken into consideration, however the base style is first looked at for accuracy and flaws. i.e. if you submitted an oaked beer- well what type of beer was oaked? If you said it was an oaked stout, narrows it down some, but what type of stout? Now if you said it was an oaked RIS, then it would be judgesd as an RIS then for aok contributions. If it tasted like a .045 dry stout that was oaked, then it would get dinged for being out of category, because it should have the qualities of the base beer first. The cats you entered require no notes. However if the category entered did require notes, the better the description, the easier to judge and usually the better the score. OTOH, if you leave out notes in a category that does require them, it will be dinged simply because the judge now has to guess at your intentions, even if the beer is evident.Oh yeah, good luck! Is it for the Topsfield Fair? I will be judging that one, should be a fun one.

OK, sounds reasonable. It didn't seem like there was really anything for me to put there, but I wanted to make sure. Yes, it's the Topsfield Fair Competition. Have you judged it before? How is it, as far competitions go?

#9 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

Yes, it's the Topsfield Fair Competition. Have you judged it before? How is it, as far competitions go?

No, I missed it last year, but after speaking with the organizer Katie, it sounds like a pretty good comp, should have a few hundred entries. I am putting in 6 myself.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

I need to start looking at the BJCP site more often and look at the deadlines for these competitions. Do not think I can get anything ready in time to ship out.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64066 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:32 AM

If you ship USPS priority tomorrow, it'll probably get there friday.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:39 AM

If you ship USPS priority tomorrow, it'll probably get there friday.

I thought shipping beer by USPS was a no no. I was thinking if I get them bottled I would do it UPS overnight.

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

I thought shipping beer by USPS was a no no. I was thinking if I get them bottled I would do it UPS overnight.

UPS is also a :covreyes: I believe. FedEx works.

#14 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

UPS is also a :covreyes: I believe. FedEx works.

Really? Uh-oh

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64066 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

It's not a no-no...it's a "no-no". Big difference. :covreyes:

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

It's not a no-no...it's a "no-no". Big difference. :covreyes:

Label the box "Yeast Samples".

#17 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

Label the box "Yeast Samples".

This works. However since I shipped that keg to Chicago via UPS, I love using soda syrup for a description. If they were to shake the box and hear even a little clink, they would totally believe it. All of the shippers are actually a no-no, but USPS will catch you. I think there pakgs go through an extra layer of security, and everything I have read says do not even test the system. Again I got a full keg halfway across the country, I am sticking with those odds. Drez77- the deadline for the Topsfield Fair is saturday, their is a dropoff point in W Boylston that is probably less than an hour drive for you. I am going there for business tomorrow morning, so I am dropping mine off then. If you could somehow get me your entries, I could drop them for you. I will be passing your pike exit about 8:30 or so tomorrow if you want me to meet up at the corner station (sunoco, mobil?) Offer's there if you need it, PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users