#1 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

Okay all, all my bullshitting about all grain will soon come to a close and I'll make the leap. Just have to build my brew tree. Have the plans and some of the iron, just need to collect the rest. So, brew equipment....I already have two burners and a keggle. I'll be needing a hot liquor tank and a mash tun. I have 2 spare kegs in great shape. to just make it a 3 keg system, I'll just need to hire someone (prolly Swagman if he will do it) to weld in some couplings. Then just insulate.OTOH, I know many prefer coolers, and I do see the benefit. What would you do?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

I use a 15g More beer kettle. If I did not have a HERMS system I would have gone with the cooler because it will maintain temperature better than a SS pot or keg. One other point to think about is dumping the spent grain out. If the keg top is not cut off completly the cooler will be easier. Do you plan the batch or fly?

#3 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

planning on batch at the moment

#4 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

You can look at it a few different ways. The keg will last longer and be more durable and you can heat strike water in it. Downsides are it will loose heat over the mash time. But there are few different ways to manage this which include but not limited to is a HERMS, RIMS, or using a burner and recirc. to maintain mash temps. Another downside is you probably would want to use a FB. FB in conjunction with a pump tend to stick the mash alot easier than other types of filtering. Manifolds properly built will hardly never stick a mash with a pump. Grants can be used with a FB setup to beat a stuck mash. I will personally never use a FB in a tun when using a pump never again. Coolers and manifolds work extremely well all across the board except they obviously cant take a burner under them. This is my current set up which i like alot. But my cooler (Flat bottom 36 and 60qt Ice Cubes) tuns have been getting wore over the years. Good luck finding a flat bottom 60qt. with flat lid. Id like to find at least a 60qt SS tun that is in the shape of the Ice Cube. This shape gives me eff. and performance that are tough to beat. Way better than the taller tuns such as Sanky kegs or Rubbermaid water coolers. Its give or take, depends on how you want to fight each ones limitations.

Edited by Blktre, 01 September 2009 - 12:36 PM.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

...OTOH, I know many prefer coolers, and I do see the benefit. What would you do?

Well, the keg with the top cut off is still sitting in my garage - never used it. And the Coleman Extreme is still getting used every time.I don't want to have to lift the keg full of wet grain to empty it- all 10=+ gallon batches here.

#6 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Sounds like I'll probably just use a cooler. One of you KC guys linked a local place that sells dirt cheap coolers. I don't think I bookmarked it though. Know where I'm talking about?

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

Sounds like I'll probably just use a cooler. One of you KC guys linked a local place that sells dirt cheap coolers. I don't think I bookmarked it though. Know where I'm talking about?

https://www.campadoodledoo.com/not much in stock now, bought mine at walmart about this time of year fairly cheap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users