#61 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

Why would absorption rate be lower? Do you mean qts/lb or something else? The grain should absorb the same volume of water per pound of grain assuming complete saturation no matter the mash ratio.

#62 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

Why would absorption rate be lower? Do you mean qts/lb or something else? The grain should absorb the same volume of water per pound of grain assuming complete saturation no matter the mash ratio.

I think he's talking about the lower grain absorption rate the of BIAB process.

#63 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

I think he's talking about the lower grain absorption rate the of BIAB process.

Please enlighten me. I don't see how grain will absorb less because it's BIAB. It's still grain and given complete saturation time and enough volume of water the grain absorption should be the same in BIAB as it is in normal mashes. In fact I would assume that it's slightly higher in BIAB since the bag will absorb some water/wort, but that is marginal.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 01 October 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

Please enlighten me. I don't see how grain will absorb less because it's BIAB. It's still grain and given complete saturation time and enough volume of water the grain absorption should be the same in BIAB as it is in normal mashes. In fact I would assume that it's slightly higher in BIAB since the bag will absorb some water/wort, but that is marginal.

when you lift the bag up to let it drain the weight of the grain pulling down on the bag squeezes more liquid out of the grain than if it was just sitting in a mash tun - or so the story goes.  I haven't tested it out myself.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 01 October 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#65 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18072 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:45 PM

when you lift the bag up to let it drain the weight of the grain pulling down on the bag squeezes more liquid out of the grain than if it was just sitting in a mash tun - or so the story goes. I haven't tested it out myself.

That is my experience. 0.075qt/# is what I have experienced.

#66 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

Can't tell you exactly why it is so. I would have to have more experience with the traditional method to make any educated guesses. Try a google search. BIAB has been hashed over and over on the web in recent years. I'd bet the answer is out there. I use 0.065gal/# as my absorption rate. I my case, some of that has to do with the fact that I use 0.065gal/# such that I will slightly undershoot pre boil volumes after letting it drain for a couple of minutes. I give a light squeeze until my volume measures correctly on my stick, and boil away. I'd probably get closer to what drez noted if I were not to do the light squeeze.

ETA: And I think drez meant 0.075gal/#, no?

Edited by nettles, 01 October 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#67 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

there used to be some pretty good debates on squeezing the bag when doing extract with steeping grain batches.  I can't remember if it was ever determined if this was a bad thing to do.  If you get good results I guess it can't be that bad.

#68 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18072 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

I did, I blame the mistake on screaming kids ;-)

#69 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

I did, I blame the mistake on screaming kids ;-)

Oh ####, I hear ya. The screaming here today has me on the ####ing edge!!!! :stabby:

there used to be some pretty good debates on squeezing the bag when doing extract with steeping grain batches.  I can't remember if it was ever determined if this was a bad thing to do.  If you get good results I guess it can't be that bad.

Yeah this has been debunked too. Seems like there were people who even did taste tests to see if the squeezing could be detected in the final produce. I have no links or source so you'd have to do the digging yourself if you're worried about it.  I looked into all this a few years ago when I took the up the process.

#70 Tim the Enchanter

Tim the Enchanter

He Who Loves Pubic Flounces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts
  • LocationClimbin' in your windows, snatchin your people up.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:26 PM

I can build a mash tun in 10 min. for under $40. Given the enhanced ease of use and utility, that seems pretty damn reasonable. Don't get me worng, I have nothing against BIAB. It just seems that sometimes the benefits are overstated.

How big of a mash tun? The cooler has always been the biggest expense here and I haven't seen big ones for that cheap.

#71 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

Oh ####, I hear ya. The screaming here today has me on the ####ing edge!!!! :stabby:

Yeah this has been debunked too. Seems like there were people who even did taste tests to see if the squeezing could be detected in the final produce. I have no links or source so you'd have to do the digging yourself if you're worried about it.  I looked into all this a few years ago when I took the up the process.

since I don't BIAB it's of no concern to me :)

#72 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

It just seems that sometimes the benefits are overstated.

Not by me. I don't care how people create their wort. If the benefits aren't obvious or applicable to you then my beer is no worse off for it. 

#73 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

Ok thanks.

#74 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

Not by me. I don't care how people create their wort. If the benefits aren't obvious or applicable to you then my beer is no worse off for it.

Denny vs Fly and BIAB :)

#75 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Denny vs Fly and BIAB :)

Someone better roll out the SS vs Aluminum and the round vs. square/rectangular MT arguments as well!!!

WELCOME BACK TIM!!!!!!!!

#76 Tim the Enchanter

Tim the Enchanter

He Who Loves Pubic Flounces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts
  • LocationClimbin' in your windows, snatchin your people up.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

Someone better roll out the SS vs Aluminum and the round vs. square/rectangular MT arguments as well!!!

WELCOME BACK TIM!!!!!!!!

Thanks! In honor of my return, maybe we can debate HSA and whether a diaper dropped in a fermenter affects the final product. What does your CO2 capture setup look like?

#77 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

Thanks! In honor of my return, maybe we can debate HSA and whether a diaper dropped in a fermenter affects the final product. What does your CO2 capture setup look like?

I don't worry about HSA.

#78 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

But can someone tell me why my bottles aren't carbing?!?!? :P

#79 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:37 AM

No sparge is an issue for me, what efficiency do you see with that? 55% or so?

This.  I was going to ask what the average efficiency was for BIAB.  

#80 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

This.  I was going to ask what the average efficiency was for BIAB.  

dependent on gravity.  it will be in the realm of batch sparging.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users