#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

Nothing too exciting here, but I'll post it nonetheless.

Batch size: 12.0 gal

8.5 lb Pilsener Malt
8.5 lb Wheat Malt

Mash at 152

14 IBU Czech Saaz @ 60 min

WYeast 3068, ferment at 62-63F

OG: 1.044
FG: 1.010

Simple, but nice and tasty. Strong in the banana/bready flavors and the Saaz work well in the background.

Now for the pr0n!!!

Posted Image

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:19 AM

If I can suggest for you. Ferment the beer at 66 degrees. It really does give a nice bananna flavor to this style. Looks good to me. Don't forget those rice hulls!! Hope it turns out well.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:26 AM

If I can suggest for you. Ferment the beer at 66 degrees. It really does give a nice bananna flavor to this style. Looks good to me. Don't forget those rice hulls!! Hope it turns out well.

I think it depends how much banana you like. I don't like it to be too overpowering personally.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:48 AM

I'm going to fool around a tiny bit with the recipe and fermentation. I like the flavors I got from this batch. The banana is obvious, but not overpowering and it has a really nice bready note. I have some caramel wheat that I wanted to try out next time around. Maybe the next batch after that I'll try a little higher fermentation temp. I don't really want crazy banana flavor though. I was expecting a little more clove. Admittedly, I probably don't have much of a sense of how clove flavor/aroma comes across. I should probably buy some to adjust my senses.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:52 AM

I'm going to fool around a tiny bit with the recipe and fermentation. I like the flavors I got from this batch. The banana is obvious, but not overpowering and it has a really nice bready note. I have some caramel wheat that I wanted to try out next time around. Maybe the next batch after that I'll try a little higher fermentation temp. I don't really want crazy banana flavor though. I was expecting a little more clove. Admittedly, I probably don't have much of a sense of how clove flavor/aroma comes across. I should probably buy some to adjust my senses.

I don't think 66F will be a crazy amount of banana. I've fermented this high (maybe higher) and the banana was there but not offensive.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:36 AM

I fermented at 62 on Jamil's recommendation that you get balanced banana and clove at that temp. I don't think that's the case.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:11 AM

I fermented at 62 on Jamil's recommendation that you get balanced banana and clove at that temp. I don't think that's the case.

Just read the thread... I'm surprised that at 62 degrees you the aroma didn't slide more in favor of the cloves. When I want a wheat beer to have the aroma of freshly baked banana bread, I do it in the summer and ferment at the higher temps. And by higher, I mean at the 70 degree level. Zymo... you'd probably find the banana tones in my summer wheat to be offensive. :cheers: But if I want the spicy cloves, I'll brew in the winter and ferment in the garage, but even then it's only about 59 to 62 degrees out there for fermentation. I use 2 Row for mine, but I don't think that would account for the difference. I like the look of your recipe.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

I have to say, regardless of banana, clove, whatever, this beer is damn tasty. I'm not a wheat beer drinker at all (at least Am. Wheat), but I've been pounding this one down. German > American.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:46 PM

I have to say, regardless of banana, clove, whatever, this beer is damn tasty. I'm not a wheat beer drinker at all (at least Am. Wheat), but I've been pounding this one down. German > American.

when it comes to wheat beers you are absolutely correct

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

This beer won 3rd place in the wheat category at the Topsfield Fair Homebrew Competition.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

This beer won 3rd place in the wheat category at the Topsfield Fair Homebrew Competition.

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!! Edit: 3 medals that is pretty sweet

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:03 PM

I'm now officially an "Award Winning Brewer". :D

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

I'm now officially an "Award Winning Brewer". :D

Nice work!

#14 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

Congrats on the medal. Regarding clove vs banana, WLP380 I have found to be just how White Labs advertises - prominent clove flavor, not much banana. WLP 300 is big on banana. At any rate, I have used and like both strains. Your hefe had a nice straw color. The idea of caramel wheat sounds good. I think AG versions that are just pils and wheat tend to come out a little lighter in color. I like them that way, but when I've had hefe over in Germany there is a bit more color to them so I'd be interested in hearing how the caramel wheat turns out if you try one with a little of that thrown in. My thought was for my next hefe I'd throw in some Munich.

#15 Hillbilly Deluxe

Hillbilly Deluxe

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2596 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

Made this recipe and I'm drinking it now... pretty damn good stuff. I fermented at 70 deg and the banana and cloves seemed to be a perfect blend for my taste... same yeast (Wyeast 3068).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users