#1 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40962 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

I have always tried to stay on the lower end of fermenting temps for all my beers. I make nice clean beers. But sometimes, clean is not what you are looking for. Some of my belgians, for instance, come up a little lacking on that "belgianness". Know what I mean? In an effort to correct this, I decided to go with a higher temp on my belgian brew from yesterday. I am making sort of an imperial wit. Gravity around 1.06 and IBU's at 37. I used Wyeast 1214. Optimum temps are between 68 and 78 degrees F. I set my ambient temp in the brewing room to 77 degrees.When I came home from work today the room was indeed 77*F. Wonderful, I thought. The beer was bubbling away happily. Things were going far too well. I needed to complicate the situation. So, I sanitized my digital thermometer, and checked the temp in the fermentor. 88*F :cheers: What the hell was I thinking? I never check fermentor temp. Why would I do something so dumb? Now I can't stop worrying about it. On the upside, the stuff licked off the thermometer already tastes pretty good. So, I killed the space heater in the room. The ambient temp is down to 74. Fermentation has slowed a bit, but still moving pretty fast. It was rocking before.What are your experiences with high fermentor temps? I know I was recently reading an article somewhere about high temp fermenting of belgians. Of course I can't find it now.

#2 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13046 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

What are your experiences with high fermentor temps? I know I was recently reading an article somewhere about high temp fermenting of belgians. Of course I can't find it now.

I let the ferm temps creep up one time on a Hefe to the mid 80's. I couldn't drink it (too clovey/banana) and gave it to a true Hefe fan. He loved it but a Hefe isn't really my style to begin with. The first Saison I did I kept it at the lower end of the temp range. It was average and took forever to finish. Next one I controlled the temp for the first couple days then let it take off. Finished much quicker and with a lot more complexity. It got good reviews from the club.

#3 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

It may take a while to mellow out. The first time you drink it, don't drink to excess. If it is a headache monster, you want to know what you are up against.mike

I let the ferm temps creep up one time on a Hefe to the mid 80's. I couldn't drink it (too clovey/banana) and gave it to a true Hefe fan. He loved it but a Hefe isn't really my style to begin with. The first Saison I did I kept it at the lower end of the temp range. It was average and took forever to finish. Next one I controlled the temp for the first couple days then let it take off. Finished much quicker and with a lot more complexity. It got good reviews from the club.

#4 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

With Belgians start the ferment mid 60's and let it ramp up on it's own from there.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

At the height of fermentation, I generally figure the beer is 4-8F above the ambient. I've just started using a temp controlled chamber to maintain the internal temp where I want it. Before that I just tried to keep it in a cool place (usually in a corner in the basement) and let it do it's thing. I'd imagine my ferment temps were generally a few degrees above ideal, but not 88F. Although, for some Belgian strains i think that is probably acceptable.

#6 Tripel666

Tripel666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

88F is a little high, but if I remember correctly the book 'Farmhouse ales" recommends a lot of Belgian strains including 1214 at high temperature to make saisons. A wit with lots of fruit, spice and banana maybe quite good. A cool secondary or lagering will smooth it out nicely. Good luck.

#7 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40962 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

I pitched sunday night. Fermentation was going within an hour (big starter and lots of aeration). When I checked it yesterday morning, it was not running hot. It was only at the end of the work day that I discovered the temps. So, it could not have been fermenting that hot for more than a few hours, and it would have been more than 12 hours after fermentation started. I think it is going to be fine, and hopefully, I will get my spicy belgian yeast flavors I am looking for. I will update the board when I have a result.After dropping the ambient temp from 77 to 74, the fermentor temp dropped substantially to 78. Interesting how a couple degrees ambient temp can make a 10 degree change in fermentor temp. Of course the fermentation slowed quite a bit after dropping the temp. An active fermentor can generate a lot of heat.

#8 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:33 PM

Of course the fermentation slowed quite a bit after dropping the temp. An active fermentor can generate a lot of heat.

There is a good chance it is mostly done too. Hot and furious could have chowed right through most everything. Not a bad time to add a # or so of corn or cane sugar (dissolved) into the fermenter. Kick it back in high gear and really dry it out.I just did the exact opposite with my dubbel from friday. I pitched at 66, kept it at 64 since friday, and today am slowly ramping up to high 70s with a brewbelt underneath. I will wait another 3 days and raise the brewbelt, I usually get about 80 degrees and let it finish there.

Edited by Thirsty, 01 September 2009 - 02:36 PM.

#9 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

Beer temp is the only way you can accurately know what temperature your beer is fermenting at. Ambient temp doesn't tell you anything at all.88F is pretty high. At that temperature you may get excessive ester and fusel development. Although I don't have enough experience with that strain to tell you for sure. Also, oxygenation level and pitching rate would have an effect on the level present.Good luck, and let us know how the beer turns out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users