68 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

I'm off to my son's football game and then I'm heading over to Binny's to check this out.  So what is it... a FALL PACK of Sierra Nevada?  That's what I'm looking for?  Gonna get me some.  If it's as good as you say, we need Basser to spll some beans on it.  At the very least, he needs to steer us towards the right strain of yeast because a Vienna is a tough one to nail down.  2206?  2308?  Whattya do here?

Edited by KenLenard, 20 September 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

Sierra Nevada Vienna Lager

From their website...

ABV 5.3%

12.6º plato

2.7º plato

IBU 28

Hops/Bittering-Mandarina, Bravo

Hops/Finishing- Mandarina, Crystal

Malts-Vienna, Munich, CaraRed

no pils, surprising!

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

I got my SN Fall Pack and picked up a sixer of Spaten Oktoberfest too... just for giggles.  The Fall Pack bottles are in the fridge and I may wait until tomorrow to sample them.  I have a bunch of home projects to do today and I may just stick with my draft Oktoberfest for now but I will chime in after I have sampled these SN beers.

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

no pils, surprising!

I'm going to guess that the grist is 80% and probably more Vienna malt. Curious to see what Ken thinks in that regard.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

I held the bottle of Vienna Lager up to the light and the color looks to be quite a bit lighter than say, Jamil's Vienna which has some Carafa in it.  I would agree that more of that grist would/should be Vienna (it is a Vienna Lager afterall) and then Munich and a small amount of Carared.  CaraRed is a crystal malt when it comes down to it which is technically not correct for the style but whatever.  I'm drinking my Oktobefest right now where the base malt is 50/50 pils and Munich 10 but then I added 4 ounces of CaraMunich (a crystal malt and not authentic for the style) and some Melanoidin and this Oktoberfest came out really nice..  I'm looking forward to the SN Vienna it either way.

Edited by KenLenard, 20 September 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#26 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

I held the bottle of Vienna Lager up to the light and the color looks to be quite a bit lighter than say, Jamil's Vienna which has some Carafa in it.  I would agree that more of that grist would/should be Vienna (it is a Vienna Lager afterall) and then Munich and a small amount of Carared.  CaraRed is a crystal malt when it comes down to it which is technically not correct for the style but whatever.  I'm drinking my Oktobefest right now where the base malt is 50/50 pils and Munich 10 but then I added 4 ounces of CaraMunich (a crystal malt and not authentic for the style) and some Melanoidin and this Oktoberfest came out really nice..  I'm looking forward to the SN Vienna it either way.

I'm going to guess you're O-Fest will be better than the Spaten... I got a 6er of that last year and the beer was a SKUNK BOMB...Stupid green bottles...  I was so mad.  I dumped it. 

Yes your caramunich would be out of style but so would the Melanoidin....  I think Marzen / Oktoberfest is good with a bit of crystal and/or melanoidin.  To be authentic you'd probably need to do a triple decoction, swear allegiance to the kaiser and polka while making it. 

Edited by johnpreuss, 20 September 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:07 AM

I'm going to guess you're O-Fest will be better than the Spaten... I got a 6er of that last year and the beer was a SKUNK BOMB...Stupid green bottles...  I was so mad.  I dumped it. 

Yes your caramunich would be out of style but so would the Melanoidin....  I think Marzen / Oktoberfest is good with a bit of crystal and/or melanoidin.  To be authentic you'd probably need to do a triple decoction, swear allegiance to the kaiser and polka while making it. 

I see a brewing video in the near future...

#28 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

I almost got the fall pack today, but decided that the Vienna Lager and Oktoberfest couldn't be good enough to choke down the Tumbler. Well, I guess I could make chili with the Tumbler.

I didn't care for the Tumbler either but a lot of Brothers love it. So it goes.... And why would they add Pale Ale when it's always available?

dahell is wrong with youz two?

#29 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

Ha Mic (aka Tumbleresque) I was waiting for you to chime in.

#30 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

I guess these days every beer has to be Imperial, Sour, or Saison to get any respect

#31 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

I don't think that's true at all. The beauty of what we do is first to please our own tastes first. Your tastes are just as important and also just as personal as mine or any Brother here. Brew on Brother Mic.

#32 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

I don't think that's true at all. The beauty of what we do is first to please our own tastes first. Your tastes are just as important and also just as personal as mine or any Brother here. Brew on Brother Mic.

that wasn't meant specifically for you, sorry if it seemed so

just a comment on the current state of homebrewing, as I alone see it

It is nice to see a thread in praise of a nice simple lager for once though :)

#33 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

No harm taken t'all. For what it's worth I have no interest in IPA's these days an do not want that poignant bitter. That makes me not part of the mainstream. Oh well.

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

And why would they add Pale Ale when it's always available?

Apparently it was to get rid of it. The SNPA in my Fall Pack was bottled in June. Really? Didn't Basser say this was a 15 day beer out the door? Maybe less?  Had one last night and it tasted like it was bottled in June. Hop character was not that fresh. What's the point of using supposedly better (their claim) whole cone hops if you can't (or won't) get the beer fresh to the consumer? One big Meh.

#35 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

Apparently it was to get rid of it. The SNPA in my Fall Pack was bottled in June. Really? Didn't Basser say this was a 15 day beer out the door? Maybe less? Had one last night and it tasted like it was bottled in June. Hop character was not that fresh. What's the point of using supposedly better (their claim) whole cone hops if you can't (or won't) get the beer fresh to the consumer? One big Meh.

That's not cool. When were the others bottled?So is this the only way to get Tumbler now in this pack?

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:13 PM

That's not cool. When were the others bottled?

Various times from mid to late July. And what is additionally uncool is the fact that you can't check the bottle dates because it is in the 12-pack box. 6 packs of SNPA can be checked before you buy.

Edited by nettles, 21 September 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

I'm pretty sure he stole that from me!  meanest poster ever.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

So is this the only way to get Tumbler now in this pack?

Pretty sure.  Last year they stopped tumbler as the fall seasonal for Flipside

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

Pretty sure.  Last year they stopped tumbler as the fall seasonal for Flipside

is it a worthy replacement?  I haven't tried it.

#40 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

Twasn't bad. That is all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users