#1 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:29 AM

If you had to show someone what 'Beer' is in one glass what would you fill it with?My first pick is Dusseldorf Altbier.California Common, Bohemian or Bavarian Pilsner, American Amber or a Dubbel may work well, too.Hmmm...now I want an Altbier...

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:33 AM

Obviously impossible to do cause of the wide range of flavors, but a hoppy Alt like Uerige or a good pilsner would show a more classic beer taste.

#3 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

Depends on the person I'm trying to define it for. I'd like to have some understanding of their palate so that I could put something in the glass that is up their alley. For some people I know I'd give them a Kölsch, for others probably an American Brown Ale. I have a friend that hated beer for many years until his brother put an Imperial Stout in his glass, now he can't get enough big, dark beers. I hope to get to Düsseldorf this fall to try Alt freshly poured in a pub.Edit: I might also choose to do some sort of lager, like a Vienna or perhaps a Maibock. I haven't shared a Rogue Dead Guy with someone yet who told me they didn't really enjoy it.

Edited by chuck_d, 29 August 2009 - 09:11 AM.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

Nice Choices. I will vote for the good old American Pale Ale.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

Nice Choices. I will vote for the good old American Pale Ale.

Me too - something hoppy but not over the top. A touch of maltiness. A fairly neutral yeast profile.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

If you had to show someone what 'Beer' is in one glass what would you fill it with?My first pick is Dusseldorf Altbier.California Common, Bohemian or Bavarian Pilsner, American Amber or a Dubbel may work well, too.Hmmm...now I want an Altbier...

An alt would be nice, but it's only 11:30.......Brown Porter would be nice too.

#7 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

An alt would be nice, but it's only 11:30.......Brown Porter would be nice too.

Oops! Forgot what time it was. After schlepping six saks of grain down to my basement I got thirsty for some IPA :sarcasm: Gotta love the LBG grain buys and our folks who make them happen :D

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

On my site, I have a section about "beery beers". It's about styles that have that clean, balanced, straightforward blend of ingredients. A pale ale, amber ale, maybe red ale, pilsner, altbier, kölsch, oktober, vienna, marzen, west coast lager, cream or blonde ale, English Bitter and many other styles. If I wanted to present "beer in a glass" to someone who didn't know anything about it, I would not want to give them a hefe, a Belgian Wit (or a Belgian of any kind), maybe a stout or a saison. Also, I wouldn't want to give them anything that was ultra-high ABV or IBU. That doesn't mean that those styles aren't "beer", but there is so much else happening in that glass that it might take some time before someone could get to the point of liking that style. Of course, most of my recipes lean towards balanced, clean and straightforward. Cheers!

#9 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

I'd probably go for a Dubbel, Oktoberfest, or a Doppel Bock. To me, all of those styles have a great malt profile, a good yeast character, and balance. And we all know that a great beer is all about balance. And, I think all of these styles show how the ingredients blend together to form something greater than the sum of the parts.

#10 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25603 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.For me, that is the single best example of what beer is all about.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

I think I'd go with an English Bitter. Don't ask me why, that's just what pops into my head.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

One thing that I find interesting is when someone doesn't like most beers they try the next approach is to start pushing the more fringe beers that Ken mentioned as beers he wouldn't select. It's kind of like saying, oh you don't really like beer huh? Try this beer that doesn't taste like other beers and maybe you'll like that.

#13 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13046 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

I hope to get to Düsseldorf this fall to try Alt freshly poured in a pub.

I was there this spring and I tried Diebels, Schlösser, Frankenheim and one other I can't recall off the top of my head. They were all excellent. If you go you should drive down to Cologne and try the Kölsch.As far as the topic of the thread I believe I would have to gauge their palate and go from there. But I might would go with a Vienna Lager.

#14 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43700 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.For me, that is the single best example of what beer is all about.

Basser?

#15 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

I was there this spring and I tried Diebels, Schlösser, Frankenheim and one other I can't recall off the top of my head. They were all excellent. If you go you should drive down to Cologne and try the Kölsch.

Thanks for the tips on spots. I was in Köln last fall with my friend last year but we were short on time so didn't make it to Düsseldorf. I fell in love with fresh Kölsch that night. But if I'm in the area I definitely need to get some fresh Alt this time.

Edited by chuck_d, 30 August 2009 - 10:10 AM.

#16 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

Bohemian Pilsner gets my vote. Seems to display all of the classic beer "traits"

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:24 PM

Bohemian Pilsner gets my vote. Seems to display all of the classic beer "traits"

Giddy up! :P

#18 *_Guest_Dr. Simcoe_*

*_Guest_Dr. Simcoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

HOPtimal APA and/or Pliny the Elder, BrightSide Belgian White, and many more.And the 1st sip was the original Schlitz, not to recommend it, but still can't forget it

#19 MX1

MX1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:58 PM

Would have to find out what kind of foods and flavors they like, also what they don't like about beer.For many many years I was not a beer guy....Just didn't like what I had tried; Pearl, PBR, Keystone B,M,C.....I hated anything even remotely bitterThen I moved here to Brussels, and found out what beer could be, I started off loving the fruity profile of Belgian Blonds, then eased into the full on malty darker beers.Now I am a lover of nice hoppy beers......If I was going to have to give someone a US commercial example, I might start with a Sam Adams Summer....the citrus profile lends itself to drink-ability(my wife liked this one)From here in Brussels, I might start off with a Leffe Blonde, maybe even a Westy Blonde or a Duvel. After that I wold beat them over the head with big malty Trappist dark alesTim

#20 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:36 AM

C'mon guys first beer to represent beer? Gotta bring out the big guns! Something tripple hopped! Gotta show them true pilsner taste!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users