• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MX1

MX1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:33 AM

Just a quick question;could you run a short single shot manifold in the channel of the Coleman extreme cooler? More to the point, would it be efficient?Tim

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:47 AM

Just a quick question;could you run a short single shot manifold in the channel of the Coleman extreme cooler? More to the point, would it be efficient?Tim

define single shot - I assume you aren't batch sparging?

#3 MX1

MX1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:24 AM

Single shot= 1 single line down the channel.and yes, I do batch sparge.Tim

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:43 AM

Single shot= 1 single line down the channel.and yes, I do batch sparge.Tim

Should be okay. I use the SS braid manifold - are you against this?This is what I did: https://brewing.lust...ar/mashtun.html

#5 MX1

MX1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:46 AM

I use a braid on my current mash tun, I love it...except for the fact that it gets beat up with my mash paddle.And, that is the basis for my question about a manifold.Tim

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:49 AM

I use a braid on my current mash tun, I love it...except for the fact that it gets beat up with my mash paddle.And, that is the basis for my question about a manifold.Tim

I haven't had a problems here but if you want to try something else I think a lot of people have good luck with the bazooka screen.

#7 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:06 AM

Ah, the "complicators gloves". I'd recommend pulling up the braid while mashing in or put a piece of wire to give it a little more "umph". If you go the manifold route make sure to secure it to the valve securely, if you think a crushed braid is bad wait till you have to get a loose fit manifold back on that's under 20+ lbs. of malt and 8+ gallons of hot water

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:07 AM

I have the same cooler (70 qt?). I'd suggest you make a rectanglular manifold just so you could fly if you ever wanted to. It wouldn't be much extra trouble. Just make sure that the space between one of the long channels and the wall is 1/2 the distance between the two long channels (from Palmer's book). I thought I would be batch sparging forever - and haven't in years now.

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

I haven't had a problems here but if you want to try something else I think a lot of people have good luck with the bazooka screen.

If you're going through the effort of building a manifold then I would definitely try to build it properly so that fly sparging was a possibility. However, if you on plan on batch sparging only and the braids are giving you a headache then I can vouch for the bazooka working very well in a mash tun.

Edited by chuck_d, 29 August 2009 - 08:55 AM.

#10 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8256 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

Trying to answer the OP's two questions:1. Yes, you could run a single slotted or drilled copper pipe down the center channel and it would work fine for batch sparging so long as the end was capped or crimped. I imagine you may find a difference in the speed at which you can drain wort from the grainbed, whether it faster or slower may be an experiment you can fill us in on.2. Efficiency can become a subjective term unless properly defined. Are you referring to mash efficiency? Or better functionality i.e. does not float, clog up, get smashed, etc.?

#11 MX1

MX1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

Trying to answer the OP's two questions:1. Yes, you could run a single slotted or drilled copper pipe down the center channel and it would work fine for batch sparging so long as the end was capped or crimped. I imagine you may find a difference in the speed at which you can drain wort from the grainbed, whether it faster or slower may be an experiment you can fill us in on.2. Efficiency can become a subjective term unless properly defined. Are you referring to mash efficiency? Or better functionality i.e. does not float, clog up, get smashed, etc.?

You are right on with the efficiency question, my fault for not phrasing it better.Efficiency= 1. ss braid will lose flow with more wort left in the tun would the single manifold do better?2. assuming I am batch sparging, would I get an efficient sparge with the single pipe manifold, or would I be setting myself up for channeling issues.Hope that is more clear.Tim

#12 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

2. assuming I am batch sparging, would I get an efficient sparge with the single pipe manifold, or would I be setting myself up for channeling issues.

Channeling is only a concern when fly sparging and not an issue when batch sparging. That's why I think building a manifold for batch sparging is kind of a waste of time.

#13 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42100 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:46 AM

For my smaller batches I use a 5 gallon round cooler with a "single shot" manifold I made out of a 6 inch copper nipple with slots cut in it. Today it is NOT disappointing me one bit!ETA: I batch sparge, like a real man!

Edited by Brian72, 29 August 2009 - 11:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users