#1 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

My girl makes an amazing version of this, originally based off of several "poor man's caviar" recipes, it has become her own thing, and every single time we make it many people ask for the recipe so I figured this would be my contribution.

Posted Image

• 1 red onion - diced
  • 3 bell peppers diced - always a green and a red, and either a yellow or orange
  • 1 can of shoepeg corn
  • 1 can of black eyed peas
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 can of rotel original
  • a big spoonful of diced pickled jalapenos to taste
  • salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder to taste
  • slightly less than of a bottle of italian dressing, but you can use the whole bottle, we use wishbone brand, regular italian dressing

Drain beans, black eyed peas and corn and rinse in a colander,

Drain the rotel

Mix everything a large party bowl

Serve with tortilla scoop chips

It will keep for days, and we actually like to warm it up if it's been in the fridge.  Give this a try at your next cook out and I promise it will be a hit.

Added bonus, after the party, use this in your eggs the next morning.  Seriously, this kills every time, and it's so good in scrambled eggs!

#2 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28192 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:32 AM

We make this same thing, but call it "cowboy caviar".  It always is a hit.  Make it a day ahead of time to let the flavors meld.

MB

#3 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Indeed we often comment that it is better the next day and try to make it early if possible. Just give it time to warm up from the fridge before the party. I asked a friend if he had ever heard of poor man's caviar and he replied "um there's a lot of cheap roe."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users