#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47991 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

Equals Ouch!I'm about six weeks out from the left hand and four months from the right, so I'm generally pretty well recovered. But I smacked a 3944 tonight and it hurt! :) I've been brewing all summer with dry since I basically only use liquid for 3944 or 3068, so I hadn't considered my hands when smacking the thing.Somebody get me a tissue. <_<

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

White Labs may be better then. :)

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

Bummer! Next time maybe the SWMBO can help out with that. IIRC, she does owe you after all from the time she weed whacked your hops.I have heard that you can forego the smack and just use it to make a starter. But I'm with you on the dry yeast... it's just easier and fits the style for about half of what I do.

#4 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:08 AM

I know how you feel George, I was an Auto mechanic, and the days of putting hubcaps back on with my "palm hammers" is over.Unrelated, but do you remember offhand (no pun intended), if we were immunized against anthrax in the Navy? I recall we were both in around the same time frame, and I remember getting around a metric crapload of immunizations, but have no idea what any of them were for.

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:20 AM

I've been having problems with my wrist and my last batch I had to use a kitchen tenderizing mallot to break it. Maybe Wyeast can come out with a special easy pop version for us old guys!

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47991 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:55 AM

...Unrelated, but do you remember offhand (no pun intended), if we were immunized against anthrax in the Navy? I recall we were both in around the same time frame, and I remember getting around a metric crapload of immunizations, but have no idea what any of them were for.

Heck, I don't know. They had us lined up giving gun shots in both arms at the same time. You know. If I had to guess, I'd probably say no. I'm not sure it was a concern back then.

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

They used to have a tutorial, (not sure maybe they still do) on wyeasts website about how to smack it by rolling a beer bottle over the bubble or a rolling pin. I have enough trouble just keeping the little SOB in a corner of the pouch still long enough for its whoopin. Never had success w/ the bottle method.

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

They used to have a tutorial, (not sure maybe they still do) on wyeasts website about how to smack it by rolling a beer bottle over the bubble or a rolling pin. I have enough trouble just keeping the little SOB in a corner of the pouch still long enough for its whoopin. Never had success w/ the bottle method.

Use two hands! I work the bubble into the corner and then lay a couple fingers flat to keep it there. Then use the other hand (or not a mallot) to give it a quick slap. It actually doesn't take a lot to break it, the key is preventing the bubble from just moving away when you hit it.

#9 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

Sometimes I'll just smack it against the counter...

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47991 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

I really think that the best way to do it (disregarding the hand pain for now) is just like the instructions say. Hold in one cupped hand and strike sharply with the other. The key word is "sharply." There is a bit of a learning curve to realize just how hard you can hit it - you are going to be naturally leery of hitting a bag of liquid that hard. As soon as you do it once, though, it's a first time, every time way to pop the sack with no fumbling around to trap it in the corner or having it slip through your fingers.

#11 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

Equals Ouch!I'm about six weeks out from the left hand and four months from the right, so I'm generally pretty well recovered. But I smacked a 3944 tonight and it hurt! :blush: I've been brewing all summer with dry since I basically only use liquid for 3944 or 3068, so I hadn't considered my hands when smacking the thing.Somebody get me a tissue. :D

[Mainelybrew] Put some vagisil on it. [/Mainelybrew]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users