#41 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:05 AM

I've also started the siphon with a 60 mL syringe, but that's just another piece of equipment that I don't need.  The tubing has Starsan in it already from sanitization, so it just seems more practical to use that to start the siphon.

i'd always fumble around trying not to spill beer everywhere once the starsan was out.  that's why i came up with alternative methods.

#42 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

I vaguely recall a brewer (on this forum, if I remember correctly) that made a stainless autosiphon. I almost got one from him, but realized that I am pretty happy with what I do with my stainless racking cane.

I don't use water in the tubing, I actually use the tapered end of a turkey baster with the bulb removed. I stick the narrow end into the tubing (I use silicone, so it easily expands), then I inhale on the other end creating negative pressure and starting the siphon. I do run off to small bucket first to remove any trub that the racking cane may have picked up initially.

For a while, I was using co2 for transfers to do closed transfers, but it added complexity and wasted a good amount of co2, so I went back to regular siphons.

No digs on swagman, but I got one and it has never worked.  He tried to fix it, but the shipping got to be too much.  It just sits in my basement now. 

#43 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:31 AM

If you use carboys this works well.  I do 95% closed CO2 transfers these days but still use this when I am in a hurry.  You blow into the filter to get the siphon started and once it reaches the bend in the racking cane you are good to go and it will do the rest of the work.

Posted Image

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

If you use carboys this works well.  I do 95% closed CO2 transfers these days but still use this when I am in a hurry.  You blow into the filter to get the siphon started and once it reaches the bend in the racking cane you are good to go and it will do the rest of the work.

Posted Image

if you have one of these and a CO2 tank you may as well do a closed transfer.  i have some plastic QDs inline on my CO2 setup so I can quickly hook up to one of these orange caps.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

if you have one of these and a CO2 tank you may as well do a closed transfer.  i have some plastic QDs inline on my CO2 setup so I can quickly hook up to one of these orange caps.

I have carboy caps set up with these where the filter is in the picture I posted.  I just connect my CO2 line to it and push with 1-2 psi and then I sit back and watch the show.

Posted Image

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:50 AM

I have carboy caps set up with these where the filter is in the picture I posted.  I just connect my CO2 line to it and push with 1-2 psi and then I sit back and watch the show.

we are easy to entertain.

#47 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

Posted Image

So barbed fitting to the carboy cap and... is the other end threaded? Where did you get that? I have found those type of carboy caps don't seal perfectly to my 6.5 gallon carboys have you had any problems with that? Or is 1-2 psi enough to overcome the slight leak?

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

So barbed fitting to the carboy cap and... is the other end threaded? Where did you get that? I have found those type of carboy caps don't seal perfectly to my 6.5 gallon carboys have you had any problems with that? Or is 1-2 psi enough to overcome the slight leak?

The barb fits on the small side of the carboy cap.  Morebeer has them they are just a flare to barb fitting 1/4" barb.  I do not have any issues with the carboy cap not holding at that pressure.  I have had them pop off at a higher pressure so I stay low.

#49 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:09 AM

that's what i used to do.  i'm sure a little bit of starsan ended up in the beer but diluted I don't think it matters.

Properly mixed, star San does not hurt beer at all. Especially in the amounts we are discussing for this technique

I was under the impression that StarSan in beer was good for yeast. At least in the levels of dilution that proper usage will provide. Standard StarSan is what, 1 ounce per 5 gallons. A ratio of 640 to one. Considering StarSan foam is almost all air and no liquid, you will get virtually no StarSan in your beer.As for an Autosiphon, I use my lungs and my mouth. But your mouth is a germ farm. Easy way around that. I have a hunk of tubiing, about 3 inches. The ID of my short hunk fits the OD of my racking cane tubing. Put the cane in the beer, put the short hunk on the end of the cane tubing, put you mouth on the open end of the short hunk and start sucking. Once you see the beer coming down the tubing, pull off the short hunk and direct the flow as needed.Keep the short hunk in StarSan during your brew day. It is easier and cheaper than any other procedure I know of.

#50 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

I was under the impression that StarSan in beer was good for yeast. At least in the levels of dilution that proper usage will provide.Standard StarSan is what, 1 ounce per 5 gallons. A ratio of 640 to one. Considering StarSan foam is almost all air and no liquid, you will get virtually no StarSan in your beer.

I have heard that the guy who gives the tours at 5-Star (Oooh, there's a way to paint the town red) drinks Starsan solution to prove to people that it's safe.

#51 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

I have heard that the guy who gives the tours at 5-Star (Oooh, there's a way to paint the town red) drinks Starsan solution to prove to people that it's safe.

The acid in your stomach is pretty nasty stuff. It can dissolve a steak in a few hours. I have to imagine that StarSan in the concentration that we use it is kool aide compared to stomach acid.

I like my StarSan on the rocks.

Edited by zymot, 25 April 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#52 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

auto siphon.....last one I tried to use ended up getting thrown into the back yard in a childish fit of rage! P.O.S in my opinion. Go with a SS racking cane and carboy cap combo. when its time to rack, take out the airlock and insert SS cane...then add a sanitary filter and blow through the filter into the cap to start a beer flow. been using this method for years now....no issues yet! See link - https://www.homebrew...arboy-cap-2910/

#53 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

how can anyone not succesfully use an autsiphon, boggles the mind

#54 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Been thinking this the whole thread.

#55 mikesarney

mikesarney

Advanced Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBridgeville, PA

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

As for an Autosiphon, I use my lungs and my mouth. But your mouth is a germ farm. Easy way around that. I have a hunk of tubiing, about 3 inches. The ID of my short hunk fits the OD of my racking cane tubing. Put the cane in the beer, put the short hunk on the end of the cane tubing, put you mouth on the open end of the short hunk and start sucking. Once you see the beer coming down the tubing, pull off the short hunk and direct the flow as needed.Keep the short hunk in StarSan during your brew day. It is easier and cheaper than any other procedure I know of.

I'm glad that someone else uses this method :cheers:

#56 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

I am on my 2nd autosiphon in my several years of brewing.  When it breaks.  Ill run...not walk.  run to get another.  

#57 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

I am on my 2nd autosiphon in my several years of brewing.  When it breaks.  Ill run...not walk.  run to get another.  

3 since 2002

#58 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

I've always used a racking cane. I had a plastic one for a few years, it broke and I got a SS racking cane. I've had the SS one for 10+ years.

#59 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

I guess I feel the same about a simple siphon.

#60 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

I guess I feel the same about a simple siphon.

:chug:

both ways work fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users