22 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Relatively new and I just picked up a twelver yesterday. Brewed with Mt. Hood, Amarillo and Nugget hops, 30 IBU, 5.4% and a light amber color. Many of you might say that this is for blow-dried, blouse-wearing poodle-walkers but this is my kind of beer. Excellent balance between malt & hops, great aroma and appearance.Posted Image

#2 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

The name pisses me off so much. Honestly it just sets them up for confusion . Super solid beer though, I can honestly see myself buying this all summer long and at least for me a solid contender for SNPA

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

The name pisses me off so much. Honestly it just sets them up for confusion . Super solid beer though, I can honestly see myself buying this all summer long and at least for me a solid contender for SNPA

The 312 Urban Wheat is popular so my guess was that they wanted to create a "312 line" of beers. Are you peeved because they used the same name as the wheat? What is funny is that earlier this month I envisioned a nice SPRING & SUMMER PALE ALE that was bittered with Magnum and finished up with some Amarillo. Not this beer, clearly but still very much in the spirit of this beer. Something refreshing but still interesting for warmer weather.

#4 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:53 AM

I dont see 312 as a line of beers just a beer. Its really synonymous with Chicago and the most accepted craft beer by beer luddites. People as for 312 and they know they will get that wheat pale ale. Naming wise they had so much more to choose from if they went the area code route

773 (the largest damn area code in the city) 

yet they chose to possibly confuse their consumer. Granted now it will be "can I get a green/yellow 312" which just makes it sound ugly. 

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:17 AM

I was up in Wrigleyville last July and I asked a bartender for a 3,1,2 and the guy next to me chuckled.  I guess I should have asked for a 312.  I gave the guy slack b/c after all, he's a fine mid westerner :)

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:18 AM

Right now, in my mind, I'm trying to pair a Portillo's beef with a beer hmmm.......

I need a beef something awful.

#7 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

I'm pretty sure that is the same beer that used to be called "Green Line" and was draft only. It seemed designed to take away tap handles from SNPA. It's a nice sessionable beer, like a SNPA's little brother. As for the naming, my guess is the marketing guys at inbev would rather deal with brand confusion than paying for brand awareness.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:38 AM

I'm pretty sure that is the same beer that used to be called "Green Line" and was draft only. It seemed designed to take away tap handles from SNPA. It's a nice sessionable beer, like a SNPA's little brother. As for the naming, my guess is the marketing guys at inbev would rather deal with brand confusion than paying for brand awareness.

Green line is different. I was at a bar over the weekend and they had Green Line (which I drank) but they didn't have the 312 Pale Ale. I think the 312 Urban Pale Ale is better... totally different beer and there are two separate pages on the GI website for the beers.Brother Poptop: Mmm, yes the Portillos beef. Yum.

#9 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:07 AM

I asked at the brewery on Clybourn and they said it's a completely different beer. I really do wish they had Greenline in bottles. 

#10 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

Green line is different. I was at a bar over the weekend and they had Green Line (which I drank) but they didn't have the 312 Pale Ale. I think the 312 Urban Pale Ale is better... totally different beer and there are two separate pages on the GI website for the beers.Brother Poptop: Mmm, yes the Portillos beef. Yum.

I asked at the brewery on Clybourn and they said it's a completely different beer. I really do wish they had Greenline in bottles. 

Cool. I'll have to give it a try then.

#11 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Chicago needs a green and gold beer!

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16679 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

Chicago needs a green and gold beer!

Whoa there young man! :spank:

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

...they chose to possibly confuse their consumer. Granted now it will be "can I get a green/yellow 312" which just makes it sound ugly.

My guess is that anyone ordering a "312" expecting the wheat beer will be asked by their server if they want the wheat or the pale ale... which could cause confusion... and then the server would hopefully say that the pale ale is new or the wheat beer is the original or whatever. They look totally different so hopefully no confusion. I will say though, this is a very nice beer. Crisp, refreshing, clean and not in your face. Very nice effort.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Just noodling with a recipe since GI has always been very good about sharing information about their beers. 5.4%, base malt and C60 in the grain bill and Nugget, Amarillo and Mt. Hood. 30 IBUs. They suggest a British Nonic glass so does that suggest that the yeast is English? Maybe. But I have WLP090 San Diego running so I might just use that.312 Urban Pale Ale9.5 lbs Rahr Pale Ale Malt.5 lbs Crystal 60°L5 AAU Nugget pellets for 60 minutes1 oz Mt. Hood pellets 5.7% for 4 minutes1 oz Amarillo pellets 7.2% for 4 minutesWLP090 San Diego SuperyeastOG: 1.055, FG: 1.014, IBU: 30, SRM: 7, ABV: 5.3%I would get the water a little more minerally with calcium sulfate to give it the crispness that the commercial version has. Mash at 151° or so. Really nice beer. Not sure how well-distributed it is at the moment but it's new so most people will start seeing it soon, I think. Oh hey, if anyone tries it and thinks that the yeast is absolutely English, let me know. When I had a couple yesterday, I felt like I got a little bit of that English-bready thing that stands out in the English strains so I would have no trouble grabbing some 1968 or something.

Edited by KenLenard, 26 March 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#15 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

Bought another 12, damn good session beer. Let me know how it turns out Ken.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

Bought another 12, damn good session beer. Let me know how it turns out Ken.

Carlos: It's a tough call but do you think that the beer has an American ale yeast or something English/British? When I use an English strain... I have a trick: Stick you finger in your glass of beer and then rub it in the back of your hand. The aroma is very bready and almost crackery, like a Saltine. I need to do that with the 312 Pale Ale but tonight I'm drinking MLPA! Cheers.

#17 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25634 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

Sounds like my kind of beer. I will look for it and give it a try.

#18 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:46 AM

I did it last night and it is very bready. Cool little trick.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Maybe a bit of MO in there? Blend it with the two row maybe.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Maybe a bit of MO in there? Blend it with the two row maybe.

It's very possible. Goose Island is about the English stuff and they call Honker's Ale a "bitter" although it's made with a lot of American ingredients. Their website says the grain bill is "2 row and C60" so they're really not telling you. I could see 50% of the base malt being English with no trouble. May have to go get some 1968 and try to make this beer with that instead... it would be clear, that's fo sho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users