Photo
- - - - -

How many beers do you drink per week?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Drinking problem?! (0 member(s) have cast votes)

How many beers do you drink per week?

1. 0-2 (1 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

2. 3-5 (4 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. 6-10 (16 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. 11-15 (19 votes [29.69%])

Percentage of vote: 29.69%

5. 16+ (24 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:23 AM

I have been brewing about two years and within that two years, I've gained probably about 15 lbs! I probably have probably 1-2 beers daily and at 200 calories a pop...it no doubt has contributed to my weight gain. Anyone else have this issue? So my poll question is about how many beers does the group consume on a weekly basis...want to make sure I don't have a problem :smilielol:

Edited by MtnBrewer, 24 August 2009 - 09:06 AM.
Poll changed from multiple choice

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47989 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

I'm firmly in the 11-15 range, counting weekends.I think you picked the wrong group to ask is you have a problem. :smilielol:

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

I consume every day to be honest, more on the weekends. I have lost 35lbs since Jan 1 2009. Consuming beer and losing weight is possible.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

Very tricky to say. But I will say this... it's a rare day when I don't have a beer. I picked 11-15 as a good average, but there are times when it's lower and occasionally higher. I've probably had 15+ beers in one day (especially in the summer when friends are over). As far as weight gain goes, I always hover around 180 lbs. In the winter and around the holidays, it's probably closer to 190 and in the summer when there are more things going on (baseball, softball, bike riding, walking, shooting hoops, swimming, etc.) and get closer to 170. I do not see a big weight gain due to drinking beer (for me) after brewing for 10 years. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the additional beer keeps me from eating more. Btw... the weight on my driver's license (when I was 16) shows 170 lbs. I'm now 44 and wear the same waist-size pants as I did then.

#5 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

Undoubtedly I fall into the 16+ category. Homebrewing and kegging hasn't helped :smilielol:. The amount I drink wouldn't be supportable by a lot of people, because how much is too much depends on your lifestyle. If I had a 9-5 job that involved sitting at a desk all day, chances are I couldn't drink so much and not gain weight. As it is I have a very active lifestyle and a high metabolism, which permits me to consume a lot of calories.

#6 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

Depends on the week, but I put 6-10. About 1 a day, sometimes 2. Usually not more; almost always, not less.

#7 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

Like Ken has said previously, I too rarely go a day without 1-2 beers. I have been brewing since 1992, and my weight has remained within a 20 lb. range of 250 lbs. since I got out of the Navy in 1989, a few years before brewing. My highest weight gain was during a lay up from surgery- recovery, where I put on an additional 55 lbs. I was laid up for 6 months, but it came right back down when physical activity resumed.My wife is an amateur body-builder (figure, NOT roid rage bulkitude thank God), so we eat well, and don't overeat, but splurge around holidays and parties, but the rest of the time we eat well, so the calories just play into my body type/activity level as far as weight gain.Of course YMMV, so keep all that in mind, and make appropriate choices for your particular lifestyle/body type.

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

I put the 16+. I usually have about 1-2 a day and some more on the weekends. Although, I usually drink less durring the school semester just because I can't get enough time to throw afew back! In all honesty, I think I have seen a gain in weight since I started brewing, but I believe it has more to do with just my consumption of beer.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

As an amendment to what I said earlier... I also have a fast metabolism (as Recklessdeck mentioned) which must help. And... as Greatfookin' mentioned, my wife does consistently attempt to make sure that we are eating well. We eat a lot of fruits and veggies (apples, bananas in the morning... raw veggies including red peppers, raw spinach, tomatoes, etc. with dinner). Of course, I'm always looking for a way to sneak pizza, tacos, burgers, etc. into the mix. :smilielol:

#10 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

I can't remember a day that passed when I didn't have a beer. But I've started to really notice my weight gain in the last six months. Many things have probably contributed to this if I was honest with myself. My wife and I had a baby so for the last year or so we have been less active. But my wife was just diagnosed with a slight case of diabetes (byproduct of her pregnancy) that can be controlled with diet so we have changed our diet for the better because of her. Like Ken's house...more fresh food like veggies, fruits, no fast food, less sugar. But I've worn 34-36 jeans forever but in the last six months, they've been a tighter fit! As the Fall approaches, I'll be riding my mountain bike and being outside more. Except for those college football saturdays! GO BLUE!

#11 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:48 AM

Get two more - I have a two tap kegerator and I have 3 kegs. I usually wish I had at least one more keg now :smilielol:

I drink a lot. Typically 2-3 before dinner, a glass of wine w/ dinner, and another 2 or so after that, most days. Brewdays are typically fridays and start w/ 1-2 screwdrivers and another 5-6 beers while brewing, and typically we have a fire and drink fri/sat nights, which is another 6-10 beers. I usually do not drink on a weekday before 4, however I did just have a small sample glass of DIPA to see how cold my new cooler has gotten.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

I drink a lot. Typically 2-3 before dinner, a glass of wine w/ dinner, and another 2 or so after that, most days. Brewdays are typically fridays and start w/ 1-2 screwdrivers and another 5-6 beers while brewing, and typically we have a fire and drink fri/sat nights, which is another 6-10 beers. I usually do not drink on a weekday before 4, however I did just have a small sample glass of DIPA to see how cold my new cooler has gotten.

This is why it's tough to determine an average. I was at a end-of-season softball party for my daughter on Friday (lots of beer-drinking going on) and had friends over Saturday night for a bonfire & then some pool in the basement (constantly at the taps) and then yesterday was a beautiful 80° day spent hanging in the backyard with tunes on (and the Cubs game), the grill going and many, many homebrews consumed. I just thought to myself... maybe I won't have any beers tonight. It's doubtful though. :smilielol:

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

I voted 11-15. Reading all through these posts I can relate to a lot of the comments that have been made here. When I built my kegerator last year I gained around 18-20lbs from continuously drinking pints and saying this keg is light next pint might kick it. I had gotten up to around 210 which didn't make me happy. I decided to do Weight Watchers with my wife and lost 33-35lbs from Jan-Apr. I have since maintained in the 175-178 range. I try to eat less so I can drink more but when I follow WW I used to measure out the beers 6oz 12oz and drink like that. Not bad I think for drinking and continuing to lose. I am sure you could lose some, you just need to cut back and I know its tough but its all in what you wanna accomplish as well.

#14 nitroglycerin11

nitroglycerin11

Comptroller of Bulgaria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

I was right there with you until you busted out your brewday/weekend routine -- wowzah.

#15 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

maybe a couple beers, or some wine each day, then if the need arises some whiskey, arthritis prevents me from drinking anymore according to the witch doctor i pay to keep me healthy :smilielol: usually drink more in the winter then as now when it's hot and humid.

#16 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

I have actually slowed down some in the past six months or so, when i work i may only have one or two glasses. And i usually have three or four on my days off work . And lets not talk about glass sizes,(16 to 20oz) and the fact that most my brews run around 5 to 6 percent . But, yes i used to drink many more beers when i was swill drinker. Than i tasted something better.I feel better now , being in the majority of those polled.

Edited by Kegdude, 24 August 2009 - 01:40 PM.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54143 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

I'll add this... I generally don't drink anything else but beer. I will occasionally have something like a margarita (if I have the ingredients) and if I'm at a wedding, I may have a mixed drink or something, but 99% of my alcohol intake comes from beer. :smilielol:

#18 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

I drink 94% beer....4% bourbon (Maker's)....2% wine (Missouri).

#19 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

I'll add this... I generally don't drink anything else but beer. I will occasionally have something like a margarita (if I have the ingredients) and if I'm at a wedding, I may have a mixed drink or something, but 99% of my alcohol intake comes from beer. :covreyes:

Same here, I would rather enjoy a few beers (taste different kinds) than drink booze. I just don't have the desire to get all screwed up on alcohol any more. Just want to enjoy a few beers. :smilielol:

#20 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

.......2% wine (Missouri).

I've never been impressed with Missouri wines, but 2% seems pretty weak.............. :smilielol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users