• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Daryl

Daryl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

I been in a pale ale mood lately and Dales Pale Ale is hitting the spot. I did a search and found a handful of very different clone recipes for it. Anybody have a tired and true recipe that's close to it that your willing to share? There is just something I like about the malt and hop presence.

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

I can't remember if it was on here or the green board but the guy who supposedly came up with the recipe posted it...so you might want to search over there...

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

It's on Teh Verde. I remember the thread well. If someone could copy that recipe over here, I'd be grateful.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

I can't remember if it was on here or the green board but the guy who supposedly came up with the recipe posted it...so you might want to search over there...

It is on "that board" search for Dale's under recipe swap and you will find it. Also, in one of the latest issue of Zymurgy they had a recipe. I have it at home and will see if I can find it.

here is what the guy said

"Hi. My name is Craig, and I was the first human to ever brew the beer you all commonly know as Dale's Pale Ale.

Dale's Pale Ale (as brewed by me from 1998 - 2002 anyway) is based upon a homebrew recipe of mine, which in turn was based upon Red Seal Ale from our friends in Ft. Bragg CA at the North Coast Brewing Co.

Brian Lutz helped me scale the homebrew up to a 6 bbl (or so) batch in Oskar's original brewery. Oh my, the memories. Brian really liked the Centennial at the end of my homebrew, but he's not a hophead at all, so Dale's was never his favorite beer. He crafted a nice Belgian Dubbel recipe for me - it was always quite nice, and his Brown recipe (One Nut) was very popular. My claim to fame was a classic Irish-Style dry stout STRAIGHT out of the book for a bronze medal at the GABF in 1999. Sadly, Dale's never won for me.

In any case, you all are shooting pretty close to the mark in a lot of ways. You'd wanna bitter with NB, then Cascade (-25 min) for flavor and probably a bit of bitterness, Columbus late (-10 min) for flavor and maybe a tad bit of aroma, then Centennial at end of boil. 1056, btw.

Used to originate in the 1.062 - 1.065 range, and finish I think at 1.014-1.016.

I'd have to look, but around 12% 30L, 6%20L, and 6%Munich. I originally used Gambrinus Pale and Hugh M. Baird crystal malts, but gosh, that was 5 years ago now.

By the way, Dale's Pale is big because we underestimated the brewery efficiency and added a last minute bag (55lbs) of pale malt to the test batch - the first batch of beer ever brewed by Oskar Blues - because we didn't want it to be puny. The test beer literally turned into the exact recipe I brewed for the next four years.

Cheers (I'm raising a Pilsener Urquell this evening)!"

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:05 AM

It is on "that board" search for Dale's under recipe swap and you will find it. Also, in one of the latest issue of Zymurgy they had a recipe. I have it at home and will see if I can find it.

here is what the guy said

"Hi. My name is Craig, and I was the first human to ever brew the beer you all commonly know as Dale's Pale Ale.

Dale's Pale Ale (as brewed by me from 1998 - 2002 anyway) is based upon a homebrew recipe of mine, which in turn was based upon Red Seal Ale from our friends in Ft. Bragg CA at the North Coast Brewing Co.

Brian Lutz helped me scale the homebrew up to a 6 bbl (or so) batch in Oskar's original brewery. Oh my, the memories. Brian really liked the Centennial at the end of my homebrew, but he's not a hophead at all, so Dale's was never his favorite beer. He crafted a nice Belgian Dubbel recipe for me - it was always quite nice, and his Brown recipe (One Nut) was very popular. My claim to fame was a classic Irish-Style dry stout STRAIGHT out of the book for a bronze medal at the GABF in 1999. Sadly, Dale's never won for me.

In any case, you all are shooting pretty close to the mark in a lot of ways. You'd wanna bitter with NB, then Cascade (-25 min) for flavor and probably a bit of bitterness, Columbus late (-10 min) for flavor and maybe a tad bit of aroma, then Centennial at end of boil. 1056, btw.

Used to originate in the 1.062 - 1.065 range, and finish I think at 1.014-1.016.

I'd have to look, but around 12% 30L, 6%20L, and 6%Munich. I originally used Gambrinus Pale and Hugh M. Baird crystal malts, but gosh, that was 5 years ago now.

By the way, Dale's Pale is big because we underestimated the brewery efficiency and added a last minute bag (55lbs) of pale malt to the test batch - the first batch of beer ever brewed by Oskar Blues - because we didn't want it to be puny. The test beer literally turned into the exact recipe I brewed for the next four years.

Cheers (I'm raising a Pilsener Urquell this evening)!"

That seems pretty big for a pale ale. Sounds closer to an IPA!

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:14 AM

That seems pretty big for a pale ale. Sounds closer to an IPA!

It really is more similiar to an IPA than a APA. Good beer though, as is Grodon, their IPA that to me has less hop bit than the APA.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63965 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

Dale's is technically an IPA, Gordon is an IIPA. Not that that matters when it tastes so good when it hits your lips.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

Dale's is technically an IPA, Gordon is an IIPA. Not that that matters when it tastes so good when it hits your lips.

IPA by Style guideline Pale Ale by name. But as you said .. So good on the lips!! :P

#9 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

Gordon seems to me more like a big American Amber than an IPA or an IIPA. But definitely good on the lips.

Edited by stellarbrew, 25 August 2009 - 02:57 PM.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

Gordon seems to me more like a big American Amber than an IPA or an IIPA. But definitely good on the lips.

I disagree. It's way too big and hoppy for an amber. It's clearly a DIPA to me but I think we can all agree that it's yummy.

#11 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

I disagree. It's way too big and hoppy for an amber. It's clearly a DIPA to me but I think we can all agree that it's yummy.

Yes, certainly bigger and more hoppy than a normal amber. But it seems atypical of a IIPA to me in a couple of ways. The dark caramel presence is more pronounced, and the hop flavor and aroma are less than typical examples of the style. And I'd say even the bitterness is marginal for an IIPA (maybe 60 IBUs at the most?)

#12 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

BlktreHeartDalesPaleAle :)

#13 Daryl

Daryl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

It's on Teh Verde. I remember the thread well. If someone could copy that recipe over here, I'd be grateful.

here is the link that I think you are talking about https://www.brewboar...showtopic=59974

#14 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

IPA by Style guideline Pale Ale by name. But as you said .. So good on the lips!! :)

Dale's as mentioned was a clone of Red Seal, which I believe is labeled as an Amber.

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:49 AM

here is the link that I think you are talking about https://www.brewboar...showtopic=59974

Could somebody post this recipe?

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:52 AM

Yes, certainly bigger and more hoppy than a normal amber. But it seems atypical of a IIPA to me in a couple of ways. The dark caramel presence is more pronounced, and the hop flavor and aroma are less than typical examples of the style. And I'd say even the bitterness is marginal for an IIPA (maybe 60 IBUs at the most?)

You're right. I had my head up my rectum when I said "DIPA". I meant IPA. :) I think the dark caramel you refer to is actually Munich.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:54 AM

Could somebody post this recipe?

This maybe what you are looking for

Ocar Blue

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 11.00 Wort Size (Gal): 11.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 25.00
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.15
Anticipated SRM: 10.2
Anticipated IBU: 68.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 12.94 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.056 SG 13.84 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
70.0 17.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
12.0 3.00 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
12.0 3.00 lbs. Crystal 30L America 1.035 30
6.0 1.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 37.3 60 min.
3.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.30 18.4 25 min.
2.00 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.00 12.4 10 min.
2.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056US/25/001

Water Profile
-------------

I have extremely hard water and cut the water 50/50 with distilled

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 25.00
Water Qts: 37.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 9.38 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 0
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 11.38 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
-----

Mashed in @ 152 for 90 minutes

Fermentation 62 F ambient

Flameout hops added once wort
cooled to 170, and sat for 35 minutes

Whirlfoc added at 15

2007 Hop Crop

Note Alpha values and adjust accordingly

I also use 5.2 stabilzer in my mash.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:02 AM

Also have this one.Target Gravity 1.065 with 65 IBU'sMy grain bill will be......... 65% - 2 row (American Style Malt from Muntons)30% - Munich Type I (Weyermanns)5% - Crystal 60L* I BREW 10 GALLON BATCHES SO HALVE FOR 5 GALS. * I assume 77% efficiency.******************************** DALES PALE ALE **********************************16.75 lbs 2 row8 lbs Munich1.4 lbs Crystal 60L2 oz Northern Brewer 60 mins (22.8 IBUs)1 oz Cascade 30 mins (7 IBUs).5 oz columbus 30 mins (10.4 IBUs)1 oz Centennial 15 mins (8.2 IBUs).75 oz Columbus 15 Mins (9.7 IBUs)1 oz Cascade 5 mins (1.8 IBU's)1 oz Columbus 5 mins (5.2 IBU's)Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:32 AM

This maybe what you are looking for

Is that the one from the thread on the green board?

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:09 AM

Is that the one from the thread on the green board?

Both of those are from that thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users