#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

Didn't want to intrude on Darterboy's cincy chili thread, so I'm starting this one instead.

Note: this recipe is for cooking in a slow-cooker/crockpot type of setup.  I don't have stovetop directions, since I've not had good luck making this on the stove.

Ingredients:

1 packet of Cincinnati-style chili seasoning mix (in the blue packet.  add whatever spices you like; i usually use the packet as is, with a few turns of cracked black pepper)

1 lb dried lentils (this stands in for the ground beef in the regular version of cincy chili)

Red kidney beans (if using canned, i prefer using Joan of Arc light red kidney beans, and will use 1-2 cans per batch.  If using dry, I will use anywhere from half the package (8 oz) to the whole thing (16 oz), and follow the quick-soak directions on the package)

Onion (if the onion is small, i use all of it; if larger, like a Spanish onion, i'll use half).  Chop finely (I also run mine through the blender, for a smoother consistency).

1 small container of tomato paste (somewhere around 8 oz., I usually use Hunt's, use whatever is available).

2 quarts of water

Directions:

1 - Add the water, tomato paste, and chili seasoning pack to slow-cooker and stir throughly; make sure the tomato paste and seasonings are well mixed.  A whisk works well here.

2 - Add in the onion and lentils.  Again, stir thoroughly.

3 - If you are including beans: If you did an overnight soak, add the beans in now, minus the soaking water.  If doing a quick soak, follow the package directions, and add to the slow cooker (minus the soaking water) after the quick soak is done.

4 - Set the slow cooker to low or 8/10 hours (mine doesn't have temp settings, only time).  If you're home while the chili is cooking, give it a stir every couple of hours.

5 - If you prefer, shred some cheddar, chop some additional onion, and (if you're having it over pasta), prepare said pasta to be done when the chili is.  Plate some pasta, cover with some chili, and mound  up the cheddar to your taste; Tobasco sauce (or hot sauce of choice) is optional but tasty.

Notes:

- Use whatever pasta you like.  Spaghetti is a popular choice, but I've also used penne, gemelli, rotini, and other pastas in the past; all have worked well.

- This chili freezes and reheats well.

- Beans are entirely optional; if you're not using beans, you can double up on the lentils.

Bklmt2000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users