#1 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19104 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Thought I'd posted this one, but I guess not. I'm pretty proud of this, people are always asking me to make it.

[font="arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"]Cut two medium onions into slices, then cut the slices in half and separate the half rings out. Or you can leave them as rings. Saute in butter (don't be bashful) over medium-low heat until well-caramelized (dark brown), stirring every few minutes. This will likely take 30-35 minutes, but it is worth it! Once the onions are almost finished add 2-3 cloves of minced garlic and let it cook for a minute or two longer. Now add your mushrooms - 1-2 lbs, sliced. You can substitute some with rehydrated dried mushrooms for varied flavor. Cook at medium or medium-low to cook most of the water out of the mushrooms. This will take about 15-20 minutes. [/font][font="arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"]Once you get towards the end of this add some dry red wine, about a glass worth. At this point, you should start heating the water for the egg noodles. Use fresh egg noodles or buy the frozen ones. I do two bags of the frozen ones. Once your mushrooms are totally cooked down (try one, they'll appear to be cooked down before they really are), mix up 2.5 TBSP of corn starch (or 1/3 cup flour) with a fork in 6-8 ounces room temperature beef broth. Add this to the pan and mix thoroughly. Once that starts to thicken, add the sour cream. This is really a matter of taste. I usually buy an 8 oz. container of sour cream and use about 3/4 of it. Next, add salt and pepper to taste (I think I use about 1/2 tsp of salt).[/font][font="arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"] I also add a bit of ketchup, though you could use tomato paste instead. The sweetness offsets the acidity from the wine and the sour cream. About a tablespoon. Let it heat through and bubble for a few minutes and it's ready. At this point, I add steak (about a pound) that I've cut thinly, against the grain, and into bite-size pieces. Let simmer ~10 minutes or until cooked to preference.[/font][font="arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"]Serve over the egg noodles. I like to serve it with steamed broccoli or asparagus and a bottle of Zinfandel or Cab.[/font]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users