#1 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:34 AM

So everybody uses Burton on Trent as the water profile for IPA'sBoT is 820 mg/L of sulfate.According to Palmer's notes on sulfate:Sulfate (SO4-2)Molecular Weight = 96.0Equivalent Weight = 48.0Brewing Range = 50-150 ppm for normally bitter beers, 150-350 ppm for very bitter beersThe sulfate ion also combines with Ca and Mg to contribute to permanent hardness. It accentuates hop bitterness, making the bitterness seem drier, more crisp. At concentrations over 400 ppm however, the resulting bitterness can become astringent and unpleasant, and at concentrations over 750 ppm, it can cause diarrhea. Sulfate is only weakly alkaline and does not contribute to the overall alkalinity of water.So:#1: If I brew for BoT water of 820 mg/L do I get the Schlitz?#2: If the answer to the above is yes, and I'm guessing it is, is there a better profile for IPA water?#3: What should my Chloride to Sulfate ratio target be?Thanks guys.

#2 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

When I was using RO water and adding all my salts back, this is what I used for my IPAs:Ca 170 ppmMg 26 ppmNa 15 ppmSO4 375 ppmCl 30 ppmHCO3 98 ppmI hope that can help some way.

#3 Dale Hair

Dale Hair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationGarland TX (Dallas area)

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:04 AM

According to Palmer on the Brew Strong water showchloride/sulphate ratio 0 - .5 very bitter beer .5 - .75 moderately bitter .75 - 1.25 balanced 1.25 - 1.5 malty 1.5 - 2 very malty

#4 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

Thanks a bunch guys.Has anybody actually had "adverse reactions" to BoT water?

#5 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

I don't try to emulate any particular water for my IPAs, but then again I am in San Diego which seems to have great water to begin with for that brew. Sulfate runs about 165 ppm here, and the breweries around here turn out some pretty good IPAs. Chloride is 92 ppm FWIW.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:51 AM

I was reading recently about a homebrewer who was doing some tests with Cl:SO4 ratio and levels. IIRC, one of the outcomes was that at 500ppm and up, the blind tasters started noting negative flavors. I'll try to find the post with the info...

#7 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

In a perfect world it would be nice to find a single site that listed RO\distilled salt additions for styles from national award winning brews to have a starting point for those that build there own RO water. Trying to emulate a city or region around the world from a chart in a book I guess is a starting point, but needs to be narrowed over many more brew sessions to find the brewer's sweet spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users