10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

On Tuesday I made a "Gold Lager" with about 350 mls of thick 2124 slurry that I harvested the day before. It sat in my erlenmeyer flask in a 36° fridge with sanitized foil on it. I made the beer, cooled the wort down to about 45°, racked the cool wort from brewpot to primary, oxygenated for 60 seconds and pitched the yeast. I do this ALL the time. I placed the primary in my swamp bucket filled with cold water and some frozen ice bottles and the temp in there read 50°. I do this ALL the time. Later that day, no activity. The next morning, last night, all day today... no activity. The lid of the primary is on securely (checked it twice) and the 3-piece airlock is in place and filled to the line with Starsan solution. Why on Earth is this batch not taking off? :cheers:

#2 Brewmasters Warehouse

Brewmasters Warehouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

On Tuesday I made a "Gold Lager" with about 350 mls of thick 2124 slurry that I harvested the day before. It sat in my erlenmeyer flask in a 36° fridge with sanitized foil on it. I made the beer, cooled the wort down to about 45°, racked the cool wort from brewpot to primary, oxygenated for 60 seconds and pitched the yeast. I do this ALL the time. I placed the primary in my swamp bucket filled with cold water and some frozen ice bottles and the temp in there read 50°. I do this ALL the time. Later that day, no activity. The next morning, last night, all day today... no activity. The lid of the primary is on securely (checked it twice) and the 3-piece airlock is in place and filled to the line with Starsan solution. Why on Earth is this batch not taking off? :cheers:

Not exactly sure why it had not taken off. Seems like it should of. Have you taken a gravity reading to see if you have activity from the yeast. Maybe the Airlock is lying to you.Ed

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:24 PM

The only piece of the puzzle I forgot was that the 2124 came from a batch of 5.5% Oktoberfest Lager that sat in primary for 3½ to 4 weeks. Shouldn't really be an issue, but I just remembered that.

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

That's a tough one. Maybe a temperature issue? Grasping here...could the wort have stratified in the kettle as it was being cooled? Maybe you measured 45 F at one layer, but it was much colder at another layer, in which case the mixed temperature in th fermenter could have been colder than 45 F. A wort temperature too cold could delay fermentation until the wort warms up some. Probably not the case, but I figured I'd take a wild guess.

#5 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

The only piece of the puzzle I forgot was that the 2124 came from a batch of 5.5% Oktoberfest Lager that sat in primary for 3½ to 4 weeks.

That's probably the reason.The best time to harvest yeast is after primary fermentation. The longer you wait, the lower the viability.

#6 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

That's probably the reason.The best time to harvest yeast is after primary fermentation. The longer you wait, the lower the viability.

I agree with that. You probably underpitched compared to what you usually do. Additionally, you might also have pitched a bunch of poor floccers; so in addition to extra lag time, it may take longer to clear.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

I've heard Jamil say that he's been told (by Chris White, maybe?) that after Primary ferment you lose about 25% viability per week. I'll join the choir and say low viability is the likely culprit. Yeasties are finicky little buggers...but I love them anyway. :cheers:

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:55 PM

Okay, I'll go along with that. I just swirled it and got a few bloops. Very strange but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Cheers!

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

I'm sure it'll be just fine.

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Do I really get to tell Jedi MLPA Master Ken RDWHAHB??? :cheers:

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:28 AM

Do I really get to tell Jedi MLPA Master Ken RDWHAHB??? :)

Hey, I brew with no pants just like the rest of you. :cheers: Seriously, I checked this morning and there was slightly more activity and the small amount of aroma coming from the airlock seems fine. I just went back and saw that the Oktober was brewed on 7/23... it fermented and then sat for a d-rest. I harvested the yeast on 8/17 which would be about 3 weeks. I thought I had done this before without issue. 3 weeks is longer than I would typically leave a beer in primary, but I was on vacation for 10 days and couldn't get to it. In the end, I think it will be fine... but I'm surprised. Another lesson learned, apparently. Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users