- - - - -

Encouraging a second Hop harvest

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_Milf Man_*

*_Guest_Milf Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

I finally got all my hops picked and dried.I got about 3 lbs dried and will be vacuum packing for the next few days.As I was looking at my forlorn bines, it occurred to me that it is only mid-August and there is enough time left for a second harvest if only I can encourage it.Does anyone have specific info on what I can do to help my chances?Thanks in advance.Cheers,MILF Man

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

My advice would simply be to be patient.

#3 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

My only guess would be to try to stimulate it with some bloom type fertilizer. The higher P&K should help encourage more flowering and replenish the nutrients lost generating the first harvest. With any luck that and some patience should be all you need.

#4 *_Guest_Milf Man_*

*_Guest_Milf Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

Patience is a virtue, but I am not a virtuous fellow....I was curious if I should cut down the old bines, leave them in place or ???????Greedy?Oh yeah.....Cheers,MILF Man

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

You'll want to cut them down once they start to die back.

#6 *_Guest_Milf Man_*

*_Guest_Milf Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

My only guess would be to try to stimulate it with some bloom type fertilizer. The higher P&K should help encourage more flowering and replenish the nutrients lost generating the first harvest. With any luck that and some patience should be all you need.

Thats exactly the sort of advise I was looking for.I am NOT any sort of Gardener. If you want to change out your headgasket, I'm your man. Need help on your PC, I can do that.Gardening?Not so much...Cheers,MILF Man

#7 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:14 AM

I've never had any luck inducing a second harvest of any noticeable size. Yea, I get a few cones, but not much.I think the plant is in shock after getting cutback, saying "HEY! WTF just happened here?"

#8 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:12 AM

If your hop plants are still young then it's best to leave the bines in tact till the frost or later and then cut them back. Even though the harvest is over the root ball will continue to grow and develop until the winter. This will give you a much stronger plant come spring.I don't think you'll get a second harvest out of the plants now. Cascade tend to put out cones as the bine is first growing in the spring. You'll get a small harvest from that in june-july, and they will give the main harvest when most others do. I don't know if any other variety does that, but I know Cascade does.

#9 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

AFAIK the plants growth cycle is dependent on the duration of night/day. If you are implying that you want to get the plants to produce more cones I dont beleive it will be possible without controlling their light cylce. Someone slap me around if I am way off.

#10 *_Guest_Milf Man_*

*_Guest_Milf Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

AFAIK the plants growth cycle is dependent on the duration of night/day. If you are implying that you want to get the plants to produce more cones I dont beleive it will be possible without controlling their light cylce. Someone slap me around if I am way off.

A guy can hope, right?Greedy?Me?Oh yeah....Cheers,MILF Man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users