#22 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

If you want to drop the cash for it, there are new faucets on the market that allow you control the flow by adjusting them. Some of them come with short shanks, some of them can be retrofitted onto standard american shanks that we all have been using.The on pictured below uses an alan wrench and can be retrofitted onto our shanks. I am seriously considering picking up one or two of these.Posted Image

Hey....I want one. Every bar I went to in Germany had these. It would take them about 2 minutes to pour a .2L Pilz. The bartender gave me an older one for he couldn't get a new one in from Fruh Kolsch before we left. I did get to practice all week on his though. :)Edit: You can see the amount of head on the first pouring. Set it down, wait a minute then add more. Sit it back down, wait a bit longer then top off. It made a beautiful, creamy head that lasted forever.Posted Image

#23 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

I wrote a couple of FAQs on the topic a long time ago. I haven't revisited them in a while, but I think they are still valid:https://webpages.cha...20Kegorator.htmhttps://webpages.cha...Carbonating.htm

#24 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

Oh, also, if you want to put a drip tray on the front, the cheapest SS one I've found is here:https://www.barproducts.com/On the left, go to "Bar Supplies -> Bar Supplies 2" and scroll down. It's only $14.95 and is pretty solid. I attached it with 2 L brackets and I just set it on top.

I couldnt find that one. Heres the one I was planning on getting. https://www.williams...RAY_P912C59.cfm I only have 3 taps, maybe a 4th on the way.

#25 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

This is a good thread. I am finally, after 14 years of pressing caps onto bottles, picking up my first couple of corny kegs and a cheesy tap system later today to go into my garage fridge. I have 11 gallons of Kolsch done and ready and not a single bottle. Anyways, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, very valuable info.

#26 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

If you want to drop the cash for it, there are new faucets on the market that allow you control the flow by adjusting them. Some of them come with short shanks, some of them can be retrofitted onto standard american shanks that we all have been using.The on pictured below uses an alan wrench and can be retrofitted onto our shanks. I am seriously considering picking up one or two of these.Posted Image

How much do these go for? Do these alleviate unbalanced beer lines?

#27 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

How much do these go for? Do these alleviate unbalanced beer lines?

Yup, that's their purpose and what you pay for. You put the flow control in your faucet and use the shortest line possible. There are FC faucets cropping up all around the web now. Checkout micromatic, NB, etc.Edited: I sounded terse on a reread.

Edited by chuck_d, 28 April 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

That's their point. You put the flow control in your faucet and use the shortest line possible. There are FC faucets cropping up all around the web now. Checkout micromatic, NB, etc.

Good to know - I guess if my ventmatics ever die I'll look into these...

#29 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Good to know - I guess if my ventmatics ever die I'll look into these...

Yeah, I'm moving my ventmatic and perlicks and stout faucet to a jockey box I'm building

#30 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, I'm moving my ventmatic and perlicks and stout faucet to a jockey box I'm building

Or if I do something like this ;)

#31 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

Or if I do something like this ;)

My luck is that friend asked me to brew for his wedding around the same time I discovered the flow control faucets. So this whole upgrade is going to be cheaper than it would have been. I like to vary my serving pressure widely from beer to beer, and I'm just sick of fiddling with beer line length and epoxy mixing nozzles. Now you can just turn a knob and get the perfect pour.

#32 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

As someone who has just built a kegerator for the 'first time'...I have one caveat. In this area I have had no luck gettiing a gas tank filled. So, check your local area. I'm able to get an exchange with the local Pepsi Warehouse, but basically wasted my money on the new Co2 cylinder.

Dont feel alone dude. I too got planked out on this road, paid like $80 or so on a nice new tank only to play heck to have it filled. IF it were nice weather and paintball season it would of been easy to fill i understand. However, it were not. And my new shiny tank is on display at the local gas refill shop i found.Anyhow i would not change going to kegging for nothing, its great.

#33 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

Dont feel alone dude. I too got planked out on this road, paid like $80 or so on a nice new tank only to play heck to have it filled. IF it were nice weather and paintball season it would of been easy to fill i understand. However, it were not. And my new shiny tank is on display at the local gas refill shop i found.Anyhow i would not change going to kegging for nothing, its great.

Yeah, one thing I try to recommend to folks is to first find out where they will be getting their gas and to figure out how they do it. I actually prefer a swap place because it's faster, the only delay is my credit card and I can be in and out in a couple minutes, unless I start chatting baseball with the guys that work there. Once you know how & where you are getting your gas you can look around to see if it's cheap enough elsewhere to justify the inconvenience of not picking up tanks right there are the fill station. You can put a "deposit" down, which is good if you might move or whatever and you can trade the tank back rather than move it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users