#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

yeah - that all makes sense.

I guess... all I know about water is it is wet!

What do you want do do for yeast?  Part of me is thinking about 1272 because I have some already but I am open.

With many of the best qualities that brewers look for when brewing American styles of beer, this strain’s performance is consistent and it makes great beer. This versatile strain is a very good choice for a “House” strain. Expect a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. It attenuates well and is reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Origin: Flocculation: Medium Attenuation: 72-76% Temperature Range: 60-72F, 15-22C Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

#42 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Come on, you know you want to jump in!

Yes, I do. And I have everything but the Chinook to make it happen. Now let's see if I can muster the time.

#43 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

Yes, I do. And I have everything but the Chinook to make it happen. Now let's see if I can muster the time.

if that's the limiting factor i'd probably just use columbus and call it a day.

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

I agree with that ..

#45 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

I guess... all I know about water is it is wet!

What do you want do do for yeast?  Part of me is thinking about 1272 because I have some already but I am open.

With many of the best qualities that brewers look for when brewing American styles of beer, this strain’s performance is consistent and it makes great beer. This versatile strain is a very good choice for a “House” strain. Expect a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. It attenuates well and is reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Origin: Flocculation: Medium Attenuation: 72-76% Temperature Range: 60-72F, 15-22C Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

I've been wanting to try it.  Is this the first time you've used it or do you have a pretty good track record with it?  I like to get at least two batches out of my liquid yeasts if possible.

#46 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Time to brew and a few other recipes in waiting are the most limiting factors. I need to order some chinook anyways for another beer.

ETA: FWIW I have had success with 1272 yeast each time I have used it. But I have been fortunate with 1450/1056 also.

Edited by ettels4, 14 January 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#47 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Time to brew and a few other recipes in waiting are the most limiting factors. I need to order some chinook anyways for another beer.

ETA: FWIW I have had success with 1272 yeast each time I have used it. But I have been fortunate with 1450/1056 also.

i hear you.  i'd brew this thing within a couple of weeks if i could empty out my ferm freezer.  i hesitate to take beer that's cold and raise it up to 50-55F when I don't really have to.

i've used 1450 and 1056.  no major problems with either for me.  i'm sure i'll like 1272 as well.  it's all beer afterall :cheers:

#48 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

i hesitate to take beer that's cold and raise it up to 50-55F when I don't really have to.

Actually that's the temp I've been drinking all my pales and IPA's lately. Both mine and store bought. It really brings out a lot of nice flavors in the beer... to my palate.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Actually that's the temp I've been drinking all my pales and IPA's lately. Both mine and store bought. It really brings out a lot of nice flavors in the beer... to my palate.

hmmmmmm - tempting.  maybe i'll order some yeast and stuff tonight.  having more beer can't hurt right?

would you guys hesitate to have liquid yeast shipped right now?  it'd probably only be coming from PA if i used B3.

Edited by TheGuv, 14 January 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

hmmmmmm - tempting.  maybe i'll order some yeast and stuff tonight.  having more beer can't hurt right?

would you guys hesitate to have liquid yeast shipped right now?  it'd probably only be coming from PA if i used B3.

If you do it soon I would not.  Weather looks warmer for the next couple of days.

I have used 1272 with good luck but like I said I do not care as long as it is not 1450, my track record with that yeast is poor :)

#51 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

I've brewed something very similar a few times.  It never really cleared but I really liked what the oats added.  I used flaked.

Did something similar and I thought the oat flavor ruined it.  Different tastes, I guess.

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Did something similar and I thought the oat flavor ruined it.  Different tastes, I guess.

damn!  strong words from the denny.

#53 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

damn!  strong words from the denny.

I just thought it was incredibly "oaty" and it didn't go well with the other flavors.  But the only way you'll ever know is to try it for yourself.

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

I just thought it was incredibly "oaty" and it didn't go well with the other flavors.  But the only way you'll ever know is to try it for yourself.

which other flavors were going on for you?  crystal?  a certain yeast?  certain types of hops?  just curiuos.

#55 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

This was with flaked oats?

#56 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

This was with flaked oats?

good question.

#57 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

My experience with flaked oats is that they provide very little in the way of flavor. The kind of flavor I see getting completely lost in a beer like this. But they would bring the body/silkiness and that's what I assumed you guys were going for, no?

#58 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

My experience with flaked oats is that they provide very little in the way of flavor. The kind of flavor I see getting completely lost in a beer like this. But they would bring the body/silkiness and that's what I assumed you guys were going for, no?

That is what I am going for.

#59 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

That is what I am going for.

yeah - a little oat flavor wouldn't be bad but it should be in the background if at all.

#60 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

which other flavors were going on for you?  crystal?  a certain yeast?  certain types of hops?  just curiuos.

It was a pretty straight ahead PNW style APA.  2 row pale, a little crystal, typical C hops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users