Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

All,

Up to now, I'd been using a cheap pond pump to recirc ice water through my immersion chiller, (after chilling w/ tap water to ~100°F or so). It seemed to work ok, but I've been wanting a better pump to chill more quickly to pitching temps, and hopefully get a better cold break at the same time.

For Christmas, I got this: https://www.amazon.c...=I3NI9E5AZ0QAZS

My question is, is this pump going to cause me problems, (i.e., blowing the tubing off the chiller, etc.); am i ok to use it as is, or should i connect some type of ball valve to regulate the flow of chilling water?

Bklmt2000

#2 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3276 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

I chill the same way and use a similar sized pump wide open but I have sweat fittings on my chiller.

If you have worm clamps attaching the tubing to your chiller, double them up and do a test run to see.

Cheers

#3 pizzaman

pizzaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSeattle,WA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:05 AM

I wouldn't think that pump is going to generate too much pressure as long as you have some clamps on the hoses you should be good to go

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

Another vote for a test run.  My fittings are sweated on too.  If you have hoses clamped on it probably wouldn't hurt to flare the tubing a little.

#5 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

Yeah test run is always best for new equipment, but I seriously doubt you will have any problems. Your really not building up any pressure. The water is just flowing through the tubing and chiller, now if it was restricted at the other end at all that would be different.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

Yeah test run is always best for new equipment, but I seriously doubt you will have any problems. Your really not building up any pressure. The water is just flowing through the tubing and chiller, now if it was restricted at the other end at all that would be different.

My chiller itself adds quite a bit of restriction. If he'll have a problem it will be on the input but he could mitigate this by restricting flow prior to this point.

#7 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

My chiller itself adds quite a bit of restriction. If he'll have a problem it will be on the input but he could mitigate this by restricting flow prior to this point.

True, a ball valve just for GP may not be a bad call. 

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

Even a clamp on the house would work if he wanted to be a cheap bastard like me.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Was just thinking the same thing.  Attaching a ball valve at the output of the pump would work just fine.  He will only need to set it once, and then just leave it thereafter as part of his "permanent" setup.

#10 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

How are you agitating the wort while chilling?  I use the same setup and when I added a stirring motor, the chilling times reduced significantly.

#11 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Keep us posted on this.  I'm currently using a pond pump to push the cold water thru my IC but feel that I'm getting the shaft on speed of chill time.

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

I have an immersion pump that is just like the one you describe.  On mine the piece of the pump that you attach your hose from the chiller to is sized for a garden hose.  My chiller end is this (https://www.amazon.c...b/dp/B0064OJ1HE  I have a worm gear screw that holds the silastic tubing on the barb going to the chiller.  I have been using this set up for the past couple of years and have been very pleased with it.  I have had not issues with leaks as long as the worm gear screw is tight.  I will chill with tap water down to about 80 degrees then hook up this pump submersed in an icebatch.  The water being discharged from the chiller goes back into the icebath bucket.   I will stir the wort around during this time and in about 15 mins when the ice has melted I will have knocked off 12-15 degrees and be near pitching temps.  If it is winter and air temp is cold it will chill further thanks to the colder air temps.

Edited by ncbeerbrewer, 01 January 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

How are you agitating the wort while chilling?  I use the same setup and when I added a stirring motor, the chilling times reduced significantly.

The stirrer I rigged up made a huge difference.  But, it's retired since my IC is only used to chill for 175df hop additions. After that the plate chiller takes over. 

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

The stirrer I rigged up made a huge difference. But, it's retired since my IC is only used to chill for 175df hop additions. After that the plate chiller takes over.

How did it work?

#15 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

How did it work?

Very well.   :)   Just a low power gearmotor with some copper pipe JB welded on the shaft.

Posted Image

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

How did you cover the wort while you chilled?

#17 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

How did you cover the wort while you chilled?

I don't but to be fair I'm inside.  I probably wouldn't outside either - it'll chill faster.

#18 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

**BUMP**

Used my sump pump today for the first time.  All I can say is, wow.  This thing worked like a champ, right out of the gate.  :frank:

My chilling time was reduced by more than half (used to be >30 min with my old pond pump. down to maybe 15 minutes total, between using tap water first, then switching over to the sump pump), and no leaks or any issues with the pump creating too much pressure.

All in all, a definite win.  I'm looking forward to trying this on lagers.  :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users