#1 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25346 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

My neighbor has a persimmon tree full of fruit. They are ripe and sweet. Any pointers, tips, tricks, recipes, etc? Thanks in advance.

#2 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

Depends on what type of persimmon they are. There are essentially two types available, astringent or nonastringent. If you cut one in half and it's heart shaped, forget about it, it's the astringent variety and the tannins in them are so high you have to let them ripen and dry them before they're worth anything at all. If they are squat and round shaped, like a tomato, you're golden, and that's what it sounds like. If they are the latter, clean the stems off, wash and dry them with towels then freeze them. What volume to use on a pounds-or-fruit-to-volume-of-mead ration depends on how much juice they're carrying, so taste them when fresh to detemine. Were it me, I'd be looking at adding them in secondary to a sweet mead base, say 4 or 5 pounds honey per gallon of mead. YMMV.

Edited by armagh, 04 April 2009 - 12:12 PM.

#3 orudis

orudis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25346 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

Well, turns out they are not persimmons (though that's what he called them yesterday). His son told me they are loquats, and internet pics back that up. They are sweet, very slightly acidic. Wiki sez the seeds are mildly poisonous, so I am not sure about using them for mead, as removing the seeds will take too long I think. This is what they look like:Posted Image

#4 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

Well, turns out they are not persimmons (though that's what he called them yesterday). His son told me they are loquats, and internet pics back that up. They are sweet, very slightly acidic. Wiki sez the seeds are mildly poisonous, so I am not sure about using them for mead, as removing the seeds will take too long I think. This is what they look like:Posted Image

The seeds can be removed with a food mill. https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Food_mill but first freeze the fruit and then thaw and run thru the mill, and put the pulp in a mesh bag, i prefer one leg of a natural colored nylon(panty hose) tied at the top. makes getting the mash out a lot easier.

#5 orudis

orudis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25346 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

That is great to know. Anyone have any thought s on how many pounds I should use for a 5 gallon batch of mead?

#6 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

That is great to know. Anyone have any thought s on how many pounds I should use for a 5 gallon batch of mead?

I use 15 lbs. of pulp for 5 gallons of persimmon wine, but for mead, Schramm's book lists anywhere from 5-7 lb. for mild flavor to 13 lbs. for strong fruit flavor and this is added in the secondary so as not to lose the aroma of the fruit.,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users