#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

Never brewed this but have had a few commercials. Thursday looks like brewday.Lineup:Gr. Pils/Munich 60/40Special RoastCarafa 1C-40/C-120 50/50Special B - a lotThese are in inventory-----On Deck:Amber or Brown MaltEnglish ChocolateAromaticthese would take a trip to the LHBS - don't want to though---------Pinch Hitters:A slight touch of Black Patent - have itA touch of Honey Malt - another LHBS tripA little Caravienne - have it.Maybe some MO, but don't think I need itYeast - Wyeast 2112 saved slurry - tonsHops - 60 min onlySaaz, Hersbrucker, EKG ??OG ~ 1.085?IBUs ~ 40?I probably left out a couple malts I have and am considering - just off the top of my head tonight. Throw darts.............

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

I'm using the BJCP guidelines as a reference here.I think you're on the right track. The style guide mentions a lot of caramel sweetness, toffee, dried fruit, etc. so Special B and some lighter crystal would take care of that. Also mentions a lot of mouthfeel so a good bit of crystal works for that as well. The roasted flavors should never be harsh or burnt so Carafa I seems to satisfy that need. Do not use black patent but some chocolate malt might work. Base malt of Munich or Vienna. Take a pound of that MO and toast it in the oven until it becomes amber malt. Ok, I think that pretty well covers the grain bill.Hops. 40 IBU is on the high end but ok because your gravity is on the high end too. The guidelines say "just enough to balance". I'd recommend something noble-ish, Saaz or Tett if possible. I think it would be ok to do a small late addition. The goal here is to use enough to add a touch of spiciness but not enough to really be able to identify the hops.I think a (true) lager yeast would be better but if you can't cold-ferment 2112 is ok. Just ferment as cold as you can. You want low esters and no diacetyl.Thanks for bringing this up. I have some 2308 that I want to make a Vienna with and I may reuse it to do one of these for the upcoming good weather.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64105 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

If your baltic porter is talking to you, maybe you've had one pint to many.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

Well, came up with this after work, crushed the grains and measured out the hops. The hops are kind of a mix because I didn't want to open some sealed 1# bags from hopsdirect. And the Magnums so I didn't have another 4 oz or so soaking up wort.13.5 gal boil - probably 100 minutes11.5 gal batch13.5 lbs Gr Munich14.5 lbs Gr Pils1 lb Carapils1.5 lbs Carafa 11.5 lbs Special B1 lb Special Roast1/2 lb C-401/2 lb C-120Rice hulls so the bed won't compact too much149-150df mash - probably 3 hrs because that's the way the day works tomorrow. May set a timer up on the EHERMS pump to recirc a few times to keep mash temps up.2.7 oz Tettnanger - 60 min - 10.8 AAU1.3 oz Hersbrucker - 60 min - 3.9 AAU3/4 oz Magnum - 60 min - 10.1 AAU2 oz Hersbrucker - 30 min - 8.0 AAU1 oz Saaz 10 - min - 2 AAU40 IBUs and 1.081 OG @75% efficiencyWyeast 2112 at 60 - 62df if that doesn't freeze up the AC with the humidity we have now.........

Edited by dj in kc, 18 August 2009 - 07:25 PM.

#5 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

Tett, Hallertau, Tradition, Perle or something like that will work for hops. Northern Brewer would be very nice, as well. Some Polish hops like Marynka, Lomik, Sybillia or some other obscure ones would be ideal.As far as the grist, I know we talked, but I'll reiterate. As Mtn said you're on track.PilsMunichSpecial BSpecial Roast(Medium Crystal)CaraFaPlus I just had Sinebrychoff Porter (of Finland) that had spend a couple of years in the cellar and at only 7.2 abv was still marvelous.

#6 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:28 AM

Looks great, DJ. Hmm...maybe I should come home for Xmas.... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users