#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

What started out as what was going to be the RIPA meets MLPA turned into a clean out the hop freezer experiment. 

This is for a 5.5 gallon batch with a TG of 1.049

5 lb CMC Pale Ale Malt

2 lb Briess 2 Row

1 lb Briess White Wheat

8 oz Briess Victory Malt

8 oz Muntons C60

8 oz Sugar

1 oz Mt Hood 5.7%AA FWH

1 oz Palisade 7.3%AA 60

1 oz Mt Hood 5.7%AA 15 min

.35 oz Columbus 15.8%AA 5 min

1 oz Palisade 7.3%AA 175dF Addition

.8 oz Mt Hood 5.7%AA 175dF Addition

1 oz Columbus Dry Hop

Mashed at 153.5, but by the end of the 60 min it was at 150 - winter is coming to Duluth fast this year.  Only 15 degrees when I mashed in this morning and the tun was cold. 

Ferment with Rehydrated S-05

This recipe has been a work in progress from the minute I went to mill the grain this morning and realized I only had 5# not 7# of Base Malt in the big sack - that caused the sugar and victory addition and the scaling down from my normal 6 gallon batch to 5.5 gallon.  Then I started weighing out hops and I was short on the Columbus.  But there was that 2 oz pack of Palisade that's been hiding out in the freezer for the last year.  I figured I should use them up.  Not the original plan but it smelled awefully nice boiling and I'm sure it'll be beer in the end.

I also know someone is going to say OMG that's a 55 IBU beer with a 1.049 OG but honestly it's been my experience that Palisade gives a very smooth bittering.

Looking at my upcoming work schedule this is going to be the last brew of the year so if nothing else I cleaned out a bunch of hops and the remainder of my base grain, so I can start the new year fresh. ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users