Photo
- - - - -

Would this work as a temp controlled fermenter?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

I saw one of these for sale on CL, used for a decent price. Do you guys think it would work as a fermenter using an external temp controller?https://www.epinions...nt_114015112836

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

I saw one of these for sale on CL, used for a decent price. Do you guys think it would work as a fermenter using an external temp controller?https://www.epinions...nt_114015112836

Pulling a full carboy out of there wouldn't be fun, but if you use buckets or cornies not as bad.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

Can I get one that holds two fermenters and 10 kegs?

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

Nay, we have one for bottles and cans. It wouldn't handle the load for something fermenting IMO. Takes a long time to cool warm stuff but is OK for holding stuff straight from the store that's already chilled.

#5 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:41 PM

I was thinking about just putting the stuff right in it, no carboy. maybe just a liner or something? And rig up a fairly tight seal on the lid with a airlock. Then just siphoning out when ready.... Any input?

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

Any input?

That's what she said.

#7 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

That's what she said.

and what was your response? :smilielol:

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25637 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

This sirtkes me a s tinker, fuss, experiment, lots of time to get it to work project.If you want the challenge, have enough time and think you are going to save some money, go for it.I have gone that route many times. In the end the best thing about the project was it got me away fromthe TV and out in the garage doing something.If it can cool 72 cans of coke in 1 hour, it has some power in it. How much for the craigs list item?zymot

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

and what was your response? :smilielol:

Gimme a minute!!! OK, fine, 30 seconds.

#10 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

How much for the craigs list item?zymot

it was listed for $80. New price i saw was $400

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

.........If it can cool 72 cans of coke in 1 hour, it has some power in it. ..........

It won't even come close to that.

#12 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:07 AM

I tend to be with zymot and say go for it for the sheer experimentation value. I am also a little skeptical on it effectiveness, but hey, if it works your would be the originator of a whole new type of fermentation cooler. Oh the fame and adulation. If it doesn't, you are out 80 bucks (provided you don't resell it to someone else). 80 bucks is real money to spend on an experiment. For the same cash you should be able to find a reasonable chest freezer on CL with some looking and patience.This is a lot of waffling to say go for it, but I am also skeptical.Either way report back.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:53 AM

DUDE! You just gave me the best freakin' idea. Buy a chest freezer, completely seal the interior and use the entire thing as a fermenter!The smallest size chest freezer, 5 cf, is 37 gallons!

#14 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

DUDE! You just gave me the best freakin' idea. Buy a chest freezer, completely seal the interior and use the entire thing as a fermenter!The smallest size chest freezer, 5 cf, is 37 gallons!

youre a crazy man! :P After seeing your temp controlled conical, i truly think you could pull it off. Keep me posted if you do decide to do it.

#15 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

That might be a great help in your quest to brew a few hundred gallons next week.

#16 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

Please take pictures. That's all I am gonna say.

#17 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

So would this involve having the chest freezer elevated so you can use gravity to rack?

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

So would this involve having the chest freezer elevated so you can use gravity to rack?

nah... I see him doing a watertight bulkhead with a ball valve going into a pump. Of course, the bulkhead would be situated "just above" the average level of yeast sediment. (J... don't forget to give me credit when you do this... ha ha ha)Say... there just might be a market for this type of fermenter!

#19 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

Say... there just might be a market for this type of fermenter!

You mean a fermenter with the insulation and cooling wrapped right onto it? Yeah, see my post linked below from another thread. That one heats too! You can get a larger 24 gallon version too.https://www.brews-br...p...st&p=134443

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

You mean a fermenter with the insulation and cooling wrapped right onto it? Yeah, see my post linked below from another thread. That one heats too! You can get a larger 24 gallon version too.https://www.brews-br...p...st&p=134443

Can you get that on craigslist for $75?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users