#1 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13070 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

Get to smell me some mash again after a pretty long brewing hiatus. Feels good to be back in action.The doll is representative of the local soccer team in Aachen, Germany. My friend I went with is going back in a few weeks. He is going to print and pin it on the wall at the local pub we went to every night. They should like it.Posted Image

#2 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

Welcome back into the fold! Nothing the the smell of a mashtun to put a smile on one's face.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64141 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

The smell of the mash is definitely the one thing that reminds me how much I miss brewing when I go for a while without doing it.

#4 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

WOw. That is a really nice brew rig. Using it is reason enough to brew. Glad to see you're back in the saddle.

#5 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

:smilielol: I just tasted the beer I brewed a couple weeks ago. NB: if you use a pound+ (in 10 gallons) it tastes awesome.NB2: put in a bulk hop order.

#6 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

'Sup y'all? I'm just getting back after it since February. I brewed a hoppy/coffee imperial stout that came in at 1.092, last week. I'm brewing 10 gal. of IPA tomorrow in the a.m. I'm taking them both to the Emerald Coast Brewfest in September. Our club has a table this year. Hey Vol, ready for football? Should be interesting this year. Doesn't look like I'm gonna make the Chattanooga Brewfest this year, again. Unless things go right this week on my bid on a job.I'll try and start posting again, too. I haven't been on the web, or brewing. Sometimes life gets in the way....LaterAl

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:34 AM

WOw. That is a really nice brew rig. Using it is reason enough to brew. Glad to see you're back in the saddle.

indeed :smilielol:

#8 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:53 AM

Did you build that rig? Very nice.

#9 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13070 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

A friend of mine welded the frame together and I did the rest. It was a pretty fun project.Yes I'm ready for some football. Interesting here this year for sure. A lot of unknowns.As far as the Brew Fest I'm not for sure if Im even going. Having a fest in August, in TN, starting at 2:00 just isnt that attractive to me. Too damn hot. Our club will have a booth set up again.

#10 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:48 AM

A friend of mine welded the frame together and I did the rest. It was a pretty fun project.Yes I'm ready for some football. Interesting here this year for sure. A lot of unknowns.As far as the Brew Fest I'm not for sure if Im even going. Having a fest in August, in TN, starting at 2:00 just isnt that attractive to me. Too damn hot. Our club will have a booth set up again.

Good work on the rig. What's that on top of the vessel on the left?

#11 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13070 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

It is the stirrer. Used to prevent stratification.Posted Image

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

Welcome back to the obsession for sure. +1 on the mashtun smell. I also agree nice brew rig too. Hope you brew lots more as well. Happy Fermentation.

#13 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13070 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I brewed religiously for about 3.5 yrs., built the rig and knocked out about 10 batches then hit a wall. Couldn't get motivated to do it, plus I had 50 gallons of beer on hand. That contributed to it a lot. I've since run out, so that was great motivation to get back going. That and my German friend is out of Koelsch and threatening violence. <_<

#14 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:16 AM

Welcome back! I have been in a little slump myself lately. Some my attitude, some just life not affording time. I feel the end (of my slump) nearing.That is a nice rig!!

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64141 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

I can't blame you guys. In my 11 years of brewing, I've spent more time "off" than "on". Often times it had to do with not having a suitable place to brew, but sometimes you just get burnt out.As for me, I'm doing more brewing now than, probably, ever. Still not even close to what some people around here do, but next week I should be brewing up my 4th batch in 3 months. I'll probably have a little lull after that since I'm going to be devoting my brewing time to piecing together my new system. But after that baby is up and running, I'm planning on brewing on an almost weekly basis. The level of control on the new system will let me brew pretty much exclusively during the week, which will be a huge boost since it's a lot tougher to find time on the weekends now that we have a baby in the house.

#16 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

I hope we all get to brew more. The world will be a better place. Let us now pray.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users