#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48017 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

So I've been thinking I'll make Ken's MLPA this weekend, but I don't have any Mt Hood.I haven't used Mt Hood in years and don't remember what it tastes like. I use Liberty, bought in bulk from Puterbaugh, for all my "continental noble" work, and I've been quite happy with it over the years.So how alike/different are they? Literature says that Hood is considered "spicy" while Liberty is "citrusy" but both are "noble." Could I make a decent MLPA with Liberty, or should I head to the LHBS for some Mt Hood?

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

To me, they both are like Hallertau. Mt. Hood has more AA. I haven't found Liberty to be especially citrusy, more spicy like Hallertau. If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to substitute Liberty for Mt. Hood, with an adjustment for AA%.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

So I've been thinking I'll make Ken's MLPA this weekend, but I don't have any Mt Hood.I haven't used Mt Hood in years and don't remember what it tastes like. I use Liberty, bought in bulk from Puterbaugh, for all my "continental noble" work, and I've been quite happy with it over the years.So how alike/different are they? Literature says that Hood is considered "spicy" while Liberty is "citrusy" but both are "noble." Could I make a decent MLPA with Liberty, or should I head to the LHBS for some Mt Hood?

I don't have much experience with Liberty... but I've got what seems like a ton of Mt. Hood. If you lived nearby I'd give you what you need for the brew. I picked up a pound off of E-Bay for about $19 (shipping included).

#4 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

I really love Hallertau, Liberty, and Mt Hood. All great hops. In my experience, Liberty is the most similar to GR Hallertau, but Mt Hood is also pretty close. I find Mt. Hood to be a little bit sharper and has a more pronounced spiciness. I don't get a citrus character from Liberty, I find it to be mildly spicy and slightly herbal.To answer your question, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Liberty you have on hand.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

I'd say as the others have to go for it George. Mt. hood is a favorite of mine but I wouldn't hesitate to use liberty not one bit.

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

Damn....you guys just reminded me I've got a lb. of Liberty stuck in the back of my freezer that I haven't even opened yet!

#7 northbound

northbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBellaire, MI

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

Mt Hood +1

#8 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

I used to use Liberty frequently, its a great hop. Mt. Hood I would use in any style of beer. It is great on its own as a Hallertau sub, and when used with American hops it seems to give them a boost.I really like Liberty in a Kolsch and Mt. Hood makes a mean Altbier.

#9 azu

azu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDarby, PA

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

So I've been thinking I'll make Ken's MLPA this weekend, but I don't have any Mt Hood.

Funny you mention that as I am also brewing that this weekend. LHBS currently doesn't have the Mt Hood and I have subbed Liberty in it's place with good results in the past.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48017 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:39 AM

I went ahead and brewed it last night with the Liberty. I'll know in a couple weeks.

#11 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

I went ahead and brewed it last night with the Liberty. I'll know in a couple weeks.

I did the opposite a few weeks ago, I brewed a DFH India Brown clone that I have done many times. I couldnt get Liberty whole, so I got Mt hood instead. It is delicious (young) but just kegged and delicious, pretty spot on to the real deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users