#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49866 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

I guess this is the replacement for the recently discontinued Hop Whallop.  Times are a changin!  Hop Whallop used to be a hugely hoppy beer, but lupulin threshold shift and all....

This Dirt Wolf replacement beer......  awesome! :frank:

They must have scored a ridiculous contract....  I could be wrong on the hops here, but seems like a shitload of Mosaic, Citra, maybe even Simcoe?  Must be nice to be the big boys!  Also, it is nice to be able to purchase their efforts.  This is a world class IIPA.  Cheers Victory!  This stuff is awesome, and very much in the line of the Stone Enjoy By series, which BTW I scored a couple bottles of the 11-12-13 that are chilling as I type....  Bottled last week :cheers:

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Crazy, I just had a few pints of Dirt Wolf for the first time last night. The local bottle shop just put it on tap. It is really good! I like it much.better than Hop Whallop. I will be going back for more of this soon.

#3 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

I heard is was good on the lines of Bell's Hop Slam. That's saying a lot. Glad they're re-tooling. I like Victory beers, but their hoppy beers are definitely outdated.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49866 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have never been impressed by hopslam, but lots of people love it.  I wonder if I never have had it fresh enough.  We just started getting Bell's around here last week or so.  Maybe I will get a better impression then.  The Dirt Wolf is awesome though.  

#5 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

I don't really see a similarity to Hopslam, but it's been a little while since I got some. I'll try them side-by-side when Hopslam is released (it looks like this will be a year round from Victory). 

I like this one a bunch. It's not too in-your-face bitter, but there is a lot of hop flavor and aroma. 

I think I'll go have one now!

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49866 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

I would do the same if I hadn't drank the only two bottles they had left at the bottle shop  :cheers:

#7 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

Yeah, Hop slam is like any IPA. If it's not kept cold, and/or gets old it's not good. When you have it right from the brewery, it's nectar. 

It's really hard to get like that anymore. People (distributors and their friends) hoard it.

I haven't had the Victory beer yet. My buddy in Bama told me about it. I'm not sure he said it tasted similar to Hop Slam, but that it was just as good. Victory has some great beers. I love the Storm King. 

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

I heard is was good on the lines of Bell's Hop Slam. That's saying a lot. Glad they're re-tooling. I like Victory beers, but their hoppy beers are definitely outdated.

Not close to hopsalm in my mind.  I feel they are two very different beers. Both good, but on a day to day basis I would take the dirt wolf.

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49866 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

I don't understand why you would hoard Hop Slam.  Drink it fresh, yo 

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

I've really been impressed with most of Victory's line lately. They're making interesting beers without going off the deep end like Dogfish Head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users