#1 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14985 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

It looks like I may have access to several trees worth of pears of various types. They're mostly out-of-hand eating varieties, but we should be able to juice a fair number. What do I need to do, learn, read about pear cider?

#2 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

Resources on perry are scarce. I don't really even know where to tell you to look. Other than google, obviously.Here's my recollections.There are old varieties of pears intended for perry, just like there are old varieties of cider intended for apples. Barlett was originally a perry variety, but the modern version hardly resembles the original. Using modern eating pears for perry will likely result in a very boring perry. A mix of varieties, minimizing the grocery store bland types is best.Pears have a softer flesh than apples. They need to be smashed and pressed just like apples, but because they are softer, the yield is lower (because there are fewer natural channels in the mash for the juice to run out) and the press clogs more readily.Otherwise, making the perry is very similar to making cider.

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

"...just like there are old varieties of cider intended for apples..."

While I personally agree with your logic I am often reminded when fruit enters the house it is not for me to ferment.Considering how soft a real ripe pear actually is (and that a ripe pear in no way shape or form resembles anything you get at the grocery store <_< ) I wonder if you could get away treating the first steps much the same way as wine from grapes. If you could smash them up just enough and then add an enzyme to help break down the pear and ferment the whole mass. In grapes at least this greatly increases the yield as the yeast and enzymes do the bulk of the work. Obviously you'd still need to press and strain but the more you could get the original fruit broken down the better I would think.

#4 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14985 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

Considering how soft a real ripe pear actually is (and that a ripe pear in no way shape or form resembles anything you get at the grocery store <_< )

Oh, I know. I grew up with a Pear tree in the garden, and now a friend moved to a place with 3 more.

#5 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Ben Watsons book, "Cider hard and sweet" has a small section on making Perry. as we have an wild pear tree on the property, it's a future project for us.

#6 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14985 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

Turns out I may not have as much access to pears as I had hoped ;).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users