#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:07 AM

Anyone have any experience using BrewBlogger? I'm needing to keep better brew records and am thinking about using this...https://www.brewblogger.net/index.php

#2 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

I've installed it on my Linux box... seems stable and I can play with it from the laptop but I haven't done a whole lot yet... I'd like to be able to reach it from the intertubes not just my local network...Jeff

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:43 PM

I've installed it on my Linux box... seems stable and I can play with it from the laptop but I haven't done a whole lot yet... I'd like to be able to reach it from the intertubes not just my local network...Jeff

Couldn't you setup a virtual server in your router, say listen on port xxxxx and forward it to that linux box local ip addy and port? In other words, have the router do the translation from internet to wan? I think that's how that works..

#4 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

Couldn't you setup a virtual server in your router, say listen on port xxxxx and forward it to that linux box local ip addy and port? In other words, have the router do the translation from internet to wan? I think that's how that works..

That sounds like it would work but now if you could give step-by-step to a network noob such as I, that would help <_<

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

That sounds like it would work but now if you could give step-by-step to a network noob such as I, that would help ;)

It should be pretty straight forward in your router. Mine is a Dlink and there is a virtual server page in the web based setup tool. What router do you have, and what is the internal port number of that software on your linux box?

#6 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:43 AM

It should be pretty straight forward in your router. Mine is a Dlink and there is a virtual server page in the web based setup tool. What router do you have, and what is the internal port number of that software on your linux box?

I have a LinkSys router and by internal port number do you mean the local IP address? I really should have turned on remote management then I could play from work ;)

#7 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

I have a LinkSys router and by internal port number do you mean the local IP address? I really should have turned on remote management then I could play from work :rolf:

Oh young Padawan, I have such sights to show you. ;) What is the model of the LinkSys? It is helpful as the different models are running different firmware's.The IP address is the network address assigned to the machine as a whole, port numbers are the ports on that machine that applications are listening on. For example:Your Linux box is probably getting an address assigned to it from your router of 192.168.1.xx or something like that. If your box was running a web server, the web server ports are usually port 80. Or an FTP server is usually port 21. So the IP address is the Linux box, and when a request comes in on port 80 the machine knows that is for the web server. :covreyes:So if the brew blogger software is web enabled, then it has to be listening for requests on a specific port number. :cheers: Thank you for attending Network Basics 101, tuition is 55lbs of 2-row. lolHope that clears it up a little. :zhitit:

#8 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

Ahhhh yes Master... I'll have to check when I get home and see what the dilly-o is... I'll report back then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users