9 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:44 AM

So there are various Lovibond levels for crystal malts but I don't want to keep around a lot of crystal malts (right now I have a lot of crystal 65L). What I wonder is the following:If I was looking at a recipe and let's say it called for crystal 15L (or crystal 120L) - could I just use a lesser (or greater) amount of crystal 65L to hit a similar SRM in the final beer? Would the taste and color be about the same?

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:30 AM

It won't be the same in flavor at all. The color might come out right, but you'll get different flavors depending on what crystal malts you use.

#3 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:31 AM

In theory, you can manipulate the color to be whatever you want with more / less of any color.However, the tastes between 15°L and 120°L are significant.Hopefully you have a LHBS where you can go and munch on the different levels of toast to appreciate the differences in flavor.That said, changing to a bit more of 5°L lower malt is a small change. In a pinch, it's tolerable. It will have a small effect on the flavor of the beer.Hope this answers your question

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:53 AM

In theory, you can manipulate the color to be whatever you want with more / less of any color.However, the tastes between 15°L and 120°L are significant.Hopefully you have a LHBS where you can go and munch on the different levels of toast to appreciate the differences in flavor.That said, changing to a bit more of 5°L lower malt is a small change. In a pinch, it's tolerable. It will have a small effect on the flavor of the beer.Hope this answers your question

question answered I'd say

#5 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:58 AM

question answered I'd say

Ya Jamil talked about this on one of his shows. I forget which it was. but he was discussing how the different levibonds of the crystal malts are just deeper cooker and more toasty. he said a lot of people think maybe they could take 2 60L to equal 1 120L and his analogy was (and this is by no means a direct quote its completely paraphrased but its what he was saying) "if you take 2 pieces of toast that were toasted at say number 5, the 2 combined will not equal the flavor of a piece of toast cooked at number 10, the melanoidons on the 10 are much richer and a completely different flavor" so thats a good way to look at it..

#6 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Very generally, I tell people that the lighter crystals give the beer a honey-type sweetness while the dark crystals give a dark plum/slightly burnt flavor. There is definitely some level of astringency in dark crystals, as I've learned from using them in 7-8 SRM pale ales (which i've done a couple times and will never do again). However, in certain styles with complex maltiness, a small amount of dark crystal is vital where the light crystals would just add unnecessary sweetness. Or, in a very light beer, I may want the honey sweetness to keep the beer from being bland/underwhelming where dark fruit character would have no place. Medium crystals, for me, are a good middle of the road and I often use them exclusively or to bump up the crystal malt % next to a dark crystal. (I may want the character of 10-15% crystal malt AND dark fruit flavors, but that much dark crystal alone would be astringent).These flavors vary depending on the maltster. Being ignorant to which brand you're using makes your recipe a crap shoot.

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

I'm in agreement with the comments above.

So there are various Lovibond levels for crystal malts but I don't want to keep around a lot of crystal malts (right now I have a lot of crystal 65L). What I wonder is the following:If I was looking at a recipe and let's say it called for crystal 15L (or crystal 120L) - could I just use a lesser (or greater) amount of crystal 65L to hit a similar SRM in the final beer? Would the taste and color be about the same?

Let me use an analogy. You're cooking supper and the recipe calls for a teaspoon of black pepper. You happen to be out of black pepper so would it be about the same to use a half teaspoon of cayenne instead?

#8 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:14 AM

... would it be about the same to use a half teaspoon of cayenne instead?

Some folks would say it would be more than OK.friggin' capsiacin fiends. ;)

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:42 AM

Some folks would say it would be more than OK.friggin' capsiacin fiends. ;)

Actually we'd say, "Why not both?"

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

Actually we'd say, "Why not both?"

heck yeah! :headbang:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users