5 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:32 AM

How long after picking hops can you keep them around if you are planning on using them wet? What is the best short term storage method?While I'm here - should I do anything to prep the hops before throwing them in the boil?back story: I've got some first year cascades that I want to make into an APA type beer whenever I think my hops are ready.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:43 AM

I am planning on picking mine next Friday and brew my wet hop beer Friday night or Saturday at the latest. I think that on the BN wet hops show they talked about putting the wet hops in the freezer to preserve them before you use them. I do not remember a time frame being mentioned but I think you will want to get them in a beer asap so that you do not loose any aromatic qualities.There were 2 shows on the BN about using wet hops. The one I am thinking about was the one with Vinnie from Russian River. I have a PDF from Vinnie with a generic wet hop IPA recipe. If you are interested I can find it and send it to you.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:46 AM

I am planning on picking mine next Friday and brew my wet hop beer Friday night or Saturday at the latest. I think that on the BN wet hops show they talked about putting the wet hops in the freezer to preserve them before you use them. I do not remember a time frame being mentioned but I think you will want to get them in a beer asap so that you do not loose any aromatic qualities.There were 2 shows on the BN about using wet hops. The one I am thinking about was the one with Vinnie from Russian River. I have a PDF from Vinnie with a generic wet hop IPA recipe. If you are interested I can find it and send it to you.

recipes I'm not as concerned with - I actually have an APA recipe (that is on the edge of being an IPA) that I've made that I'd like to try with the wet hops.

#4 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

Drez I would be interested in taking a look at it. just shoot it to me. Thanks.I have seveal 1st and second year hops about to pop I am think about taking a hop bag and putting an oz in my car so I can smell them all day long. <_< Cheers and good luck on the Harvest.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

Drez I would be interested in taking a look at it. just shoot it to me. Thanks.I have seveal 1st and second year hops about to pop I am think about taking a hop bag and putting an oz in my car so I can smell them all day long. <_< Cheers and good luck on the Harvest.

Here is the link to the PDFI foundhttps://www.musiccit...ocs/hoptime.pdfMike

#6 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

Here is the link to the PDFI foundhttps://www.musiccit...ocs/hoptime.pdfMike

Thanks.I'm sure it will turn out very Wet. <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic