11 replies to this topic

#1 Hooperjetcar

Hooperjetcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBAMA

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

So my chest freezer converted to kegerator died over the weekend. Compressor is way hot to the touch, and is not cooling. Unplugged for two days and tried again, no dice. My folks are in the final planning stages of a itchen remodel, and will be replacing their fridge. They have said I can have the old one, so I have that coming, but it may still be a two months. I was planning on using the next month to brew stocks up for football season, and currently have 10 gallons of blond in secondary, due to chill in another week. Any ideas for temporary chilling/serving set-ups until folks fridge get here?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

So my chest freezer converted to kegerator died over the weekend. Compressor is way hot to the touch, and is not cooling. Unplugged for two days and tried again, no dice. My folks are in the final planning stages of a itchen remodel, and will be replacing their fridge. They have said I can have the old one, so I have that coming, but it may still be a two months. I was planning on using the next month to brew stocks up for football season, and currently have 10 gallons of blond in secondary, due to chill in another week. Any ideas for temporary chilling/serving set-ups until folks fridge get here?

Load your chest freezer with bags of ice?

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

buy another chest freezer.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

buy another chest freezer.

that's sound pretty permanent aka not temporary :)

#5 Hooperjetcar

Hooperjetcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBAMA

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

I thought about bags of ice but with no drain on the freezer that gets to be a pain to empty the water from the melting ice. My other thought was a ghetto jockey box, and just let the kegs stay warm. Just make the hose on the cobra tap longer and bury a lot of it in ice in a cooler. But that's going to screw with the carbonation. I may just have to suck it up and deal with the water.

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

what size is it?Edit: are you trying to solve the serving problem or the lagering/storage problem or both?

Edited by ChefLamont, 12 August 2009 - 01:17 PM.

#7 Hooperjetcar

Hooperjetcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBAMA

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

Can't remember actual size, but it holds 3 kegs plus co2 tank. I guess I am more worried about chilling the beer as it comes out of secondary to help clear it up and then storing it. I can survive on store bought (probably) till the new fridge arrives.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

I thought about bags of ice but with no drain on the freezer that gets to be a pain to empty the water from the melting ice. My other thought was a ghetto jockey box, and just let the kegs stay warm. Just make the hose on the cobra tap longer and bury a lot of it in ice in a cooler. But that's going to screw with the carbonation. I may just have to suck it up and deal with the water.

Wait a minute... you are worried about drilling a hole in the bottom of a dead chest freezer??? That's what a Craftsman Drill and a 3/4 inch bit is for!!!

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

Wait a minute... you are worried about drilling a hole in the bottom of a dead chest freezer??? That's what a Craftsman Drill and a 3/4 inch bit is for!!!

that's what i'm talking about :)

#10 Hooperjetcar

Hooperjetcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBAMA

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

:) Well that was a stupid moment. Thanks.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

:) Well that was a stupid moment. Thanks.

Just get a cheap plastic barb from HD Lowes and a bit of tubing to drain away if you need. A little bit of plumbers putty will seal that barb in on a temporary basis. Sometimes the most obvious is the hardest to see, but if you were considering dumping a bunch of ice in it anyways... go for it. I can't imagine how much ice you would need to keep chilled... but hey if it works temporarily you will be good to go.Here's another option for you. If your freezer has a collar that you put on it, you can get a cheap-o dorm fridge off Craigslist or something and run that with some ducting into the existing freezer. Just a stupid thought, but it might work temporarily. Heck, you see these guys building nice ferm chambers using the guts from these things, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

It's probably better to leave the water right in there for thermal mass. Just keep adding ice. If the water level gets too high you can just siphon some out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users