#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Have a nice IPA that I racked onto gelatin a few days ago and is currently being chilled at 40 degrees to clear out. Want to crush up some Chinook pellets and throw in a bag to dry hop it for about a week. The answer is probably no harm....but I was wondering if dry hopping in a 2ndary that has been dosed with gelatin will have a negative affect on the hop oils?

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

giggity?

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

Have a nice IPA that I racked onto gelatin a few days ago and is currently being chilled at 40 degrees to clear out. Want to crush up some Chinook pellets and throw in a bag to dry hop it for about a week. The answer is probably no harm....but I was wondering if dry hopping in a 2ndary that has been dosed with gelatin will have a negative affect on the hop oils?

I can't imagine that you would have any problems. I'm guessing the gelatin has already dropped to the bottom. That, if I'm thinking it through properly, would clean up the beer ready to accept the hops without the hops having to fight with anything else or potentially get stripped. I only wish I had thought of this.

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

I think hydrocarbons in hops are too small to be affected by gelatin. Besides, as Deerslr said, the gelatin has probably already precipitated. Just FYI, when I use gelatin, I add it to the (chilled) beer rather than the other way around. I'm not sure it makes a difference but jus' sayin'...

#5 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

I think hydrocarbons in hops are too small to be affected by gelatin. Besides, as Deerslr said, the gelatin has probably already precipitated. Just FYI, when I use gelatin, I add it to the (chilled) beer rather than the other way around. I'm not sure it makes a difference but jus' sayin'...

ok this is exactly what I was thinking...i will give it one more day to get everything grounded then add the hop bag in there....and yea...i chill it down before I rack onto the gelatin, I just put it back in the mini fridge and keep it cold while it is dropping out....

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

ok this is exactly what I was thinking...i will give it one more day to get everything grounded then add the hop bag in there....and yea...i chill it down before I rack onto the gelatin, I just put it back in the mini fridge and keep it cold while it is dropping out....

You stir it after you rack on top of the gelatin right? Cause the gelatin won't work unless it's suspended in the beer. That's why I add it to the beer instead of adding the beer to the gelatin.

#7 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

You stir it after you rack on top of the gelatin right? Cause the gelatin won't work unless it's suspended in the beer. That's why I add it to the beer instead of adding the beer to the gelatin.

hmmm...I do not stir, when I first started doing the process i read somewhere that it will get better exposure if you rack on top of the gelatin....I know it gets the whole bunch though because sometimes i get a little bit of gelatin blob on the top for a few days, and I get trub/gelatin blobs stuck around the 2 rings of my better bottle. I have to rock the BB back and forth gently to get the rings of trub to fall....(well and it gets clear)

#8 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

I know this isnt the answer you want... but why bother with gelatin? with a whirflock tablet.. good fast chilling.. and proper racking technique...I seem to get brialliantly clear beer without even doing a secondary...and if its not clear immeadiatley it generally will be after a week or 2 of chilling in the fridge...jus sayin...

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64145 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

I did the opposite on the IPA I just made. I dry hopped for a week, then transferred to kegs with gelatin already in them. The hop aroma seemed to come through fine, but the beer is still hazy. I don't know if that's an issue with how I added the gelatin or a side effect of all the hops in the beer not clearing out as easily with the gelatin. Up until now I have added gelatin to the keg with the beer in it, then gently agitated the keg, and the beers all cleared very well. I assumed transferring right on to the gelatin would mix it very thoroughly with the beer, but maybe it didn't.

Edited by JKoravos, 12 August 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#10 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

I have heard that it is good to add thh hops after the gelatin has settled the yeast. So I think you're good to go.

#11 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:29 AM

I did the opposite on the IPA I just made. I dry hopped for a week, then transferred to kegs with gelatin already in them. The hop aroma seemed to come through fine, but the beer is still hazy. I don't know if that's an issue with how I added the gelatin or a side effect of all the hops in the beer not clearing out as easily with the gelatin. Up until now I have added gelatin to the keg with the beer in it, then gently agitated the keg, and the beers all cleared very well. I assumed transferring right on to the gelatin would mix it very thoroughly with the beer, but maybe it didn't.

Was the beer cold when you transferred into the kegs with gelatin in them? If not, that's probably why.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64145 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:14 AM

Was the beer cold when you transferred into the kegs with gelatin in them? If not, that's probably why.

Yup, 35F.

#13 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

I know this isnt the answer you want... but why bother with gelatin? with a whirflock tablet.. good fast chilling.. and proper racking technique...I seem to get brialliantly clear beer without even doing a secondary...and if its not clear immeadiatley it generally will be after a week or 2 of chilling in the fridge...jus sayin...

I use Irish Moss in the boil as well....chill with a copper coil, and rack properly. I find that using gelatin helps with chill haze, and the big reason why I use it is that I bottle condition, so it helps ALOT with the amount of yeast sediment that ends up in the bottle after they are carbed. Cold alone doesn't drop enough of the yeast for my liking so the gelatin grabs onto them leaving just enough for me to bottle condition with...It also speeds up the processTo each his own...

#14 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

Could be the hop oils from dry hopping. As it was said before gelatin shouldn't affect the hop oils and dry hopping does lead to some haze...

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64145 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

Could be the hop oils from dry hopping. As it was said before gelatin shouldn't affect the hop oils and dry hopping does lead to some haze...

That's likely what it is. Highly hopped commercial IPAs are generally cloudy as well.

#16 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

I use Irish Moss in the boil as well....chill with a copper coil, and rack properly. I find that using gelatin helps with chill haze, and the big reason why I use it is that I bottle condition, so it helps ALOT with the amount of yeast sediment that ends up in the bottle after they are carbed. Cold alone doesn't drop enough of the yeast for my liking so the gelatin grabs onto them leaving just enough for me to bottle condition with...It also speeds up the processTo each his own...

First off sorry if I seemed like I was saying ur process sucks I didn't mean that don't think you perceieved that either..but I can see where that coulda been interpreted.. Secondly I can see where this makes sense. I forgot not eeryone kegs like I do...so with the keg I have no real reason to use gelatin.. Well haven't yet anyways and my beer has been clear.

#17 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

First off sorry if I seemed like I was saying ur process sucks I didn't mean that don't think you perceieved that either..but I can see where that coulda been interpreted.. Secondly I can see where this makes sense. I forgot not eeryone kegs like I do...so with the keg I have no real reason to use gelatin.. Well haven't yet anyways and my beer has been clear.

i really want to keg....just not in the cards right now...

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64145 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

Since I stopped recirculation during the mash, my beer hasn't cleared as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users