Noticed "tuna" at the mexi grocer the other day for a reasonable price (way cheaper than gas money to go find some myself) so I decided to try out a version of Papazian's prickly pear mead.
Per his recipe I chopped the fruit, boiled it with water 2 hrs, and then strained. Started with 7lb of fruit and filled the pot to 2gal. In the end the strained liquid resulted in 5L (1.3gal) of 3% Brix (~1.012). To it I mixed water to first knock down the temps to about 130F (basically was going for sub 160F), then agave nectar and water to achieve 24L(6.3gal) of 27.5% Brix (~1.117).
Using 71B yeast with the staggered nutrient schedule (I went ahead and rounded up to 5g, 3g, 2g due to 6.3gal), first two mixed in already (started this sat afternoon).
Note: Even at this stage there is a good flavor to the must (I was curious how it'd be after all that boiling of the fruit), hope it shines through. We'll see.