No replies to this topic

#1 hophead

hophead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWalk About Creek

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Recipe Type: All Grain Yeast: Wyeast 1968 Yeast Starter: yes Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5 Original Gravity: 1.072 Final Gravity: 1.021 IBU: 49 Boiling Time (Minutes): 90 Color: 48 SRM Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Tasting Notes: It's a smoked porter, so it has a smoke flavor I no longer enter competitions but when I did, my version of Alaskan Smoked Porter was generally well received. I do smoke all 9 lbs of the base grain with alderwood (available online). It may seem like too much smoke but it's not. This gives an excellent blend of smoke flavor and balance with the Porter & hops. I spent a few hours talking to a delightful lady at the brewery. I never coaxed the formula from her, but I did get the entire grain bill and hops to experiment with. Wyeast #1968 seems perfect, plus it gets the job done fairly quickly and gets out of the way... If you change the wood for smoking (apple..cherry etc.), you will not get the same flavor. However, I have found the cherry wood smoked malt from Breiss is excellent in a more lightly smoked porter. If you brew my version, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over these years. My goal was, not to duplicate the great original, but to get something worthy enough to compare to it... Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal) I mash @ 156F & boil this brew for 90 minutes Grain bill 9.00 lb Alder smoked US Pale 2-row 2.00 lb Munich Malt 1.00 lb Crystal Malt - 60L 1.00 lb Chocolate Malt 0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt 0.50 lb Crystal Malt -120L 1.00 oz Chinook Leaf [13.0%] (60 min) 1.00 oz Williamette Leaf [5.5%] (15 min) 1.00 oz Williamette Leaf [5.5%] (5 min) London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968 OG: 1.068 FG: 1.018 Notes: Smoke base grain with alderwood (preferably with offset firepit) You want the smoke not the heat. I smoke it for 2-3 hours spritzing it every 30 minutes with distilled water (no chlorine). . 2nd place Kansas City Biermeister's 2005 3rd place IBU Challenge (Iowa Brewer's union) Des Moines IA 2005 1st place GABzBF Great Arizona Homebrew Competition 2005 1st place Carolina Brewmasters US Open 2005 1st place River City Roundup 2006 Omaha NE 2nd BOS River City Roundup 2006 Omaha NE 1st place Hoppy Halloween Challenge...2006 Fargo ND 2nd place Thirsty Classic 2006 Amana IA __________________

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users