#1 LilSmokey

LilSmokey

Master of TL;DR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3249 posts
  • Locationthe SWATS!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

I'm going to be back from Iraq for a couple of weeks sometime around Octoberish. I haven't brewed anything in about a year and I'd like to fire the system back up again while I'm home. It will be able to condition for a long time, since I probably won't be back for 4-6 months. What should I brew? I'd like something special I can keg up when I come back next year to celebrate. I want a tried recipe for something good that would benefit from the long rest time. Lager or Ale, anything goes.

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:54 PM

I'm going to be back from Iraq for a couple of weeks sometime around Octoberish. I haven't brewed anything in about a year and I'd like to fire the system back up again while I'm home. It will be able to condition for a long time, since I probably won't be back for 4-6 months. What should I brew? I'd like something special I can keg up when I come back next year to celebrate. I want a tried recipe for something good that would benefit from the long rest time. Lager or Ale, anything goes.

Historical double stout

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

how bout a Wee Heavy, or A Dopplebock?

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:05 AM

Brew something that you can transfer to secondary in under weeks with a relatively high level of certainty. I'd stay away from lagers or uber high gravity stuff.

#5 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

start a mead while you are home too

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

I say brew up a nice Belgian Tripel. I have a nice recipe in the recipe swap or can send to you if you like as well. I think 4-6 months would be a nice aging timeframe for this beer as well. PS: Thanks for the service you do for this great country. A nice salute to you!! :smilielol:

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:16 AM

I say brew up a nice Belgian Tripel. I have a nice recipe in the recipe swap or can send to you if you like as well. I think 4-6 months would be a nice aging timeframe for this beer as well. PS: Thanks for the service you do for this great country. A nice salute to you!! :smilielol:

How long do these take to ferment out? I can't imagine he'd want to leave this sitting in primary for the whole time he's gone...

#8 LilSmokey

LilSmokey

Master of TL;DR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3249 posts
  • Locationthe SWATS!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

How long would the tripel take in the primary? Since I'll be short of time, I'd probably use multiple smack packs instead of a starter for a higher gravity beer. Send me the recipe if you have a good tried and true one. Thanks

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

How long do these take to ferment out? I can't imagine he'd want to leave this sitting in primary for the whole time he's gone...

The Tripel I brewed took 10 days to ferment. 1.080 and down to 1.010. I fermented with a starter of Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes. It doesn't sit in primary for that long, It sits in secondary. Smokey. I will PM you the recipe. Thanks

#10 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:40 AM

Stout, Russian ImperialNow why do you think I'd suggest that...How long do you have to brew & keg it?

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

Make sure someone keeps an eye on your airlocks if you keep it in secondary. Or keg it before you leave, and let it sit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users